Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 22 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Recommendations for removals firms - France to UK

Richard51 wrote : So back to the stupid duo eh.

No, in this case I think it is just ALBF being his usual provocative self ☺
Why do you fall for it ?
No wonder your kids call you 'grumpy old git'.
Where did you leave your sense of humour ?
Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

I admit I'm quite puzzled by the discrepancy in the estimates we were given.
The french companies sent someone to look all round our house and barns etc, measuring up and recording all items. Then came up with an estimate of 6000 euro.
Bishops Move did it all on the phone and their estimate was £3000. Maybe more in euros.
Was this because french businesses take into account the taxes they have to pay, whereas british businesses are treated more leniently?

Report   Reply Quote

Maybe the UK firms are just more used to people moving???

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Maybe the French were not counting on a return load whereas the British treated yours as one.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

That's probably it Wooly.  British people seem to be more business-minded than the french.

Report   Reply Quote

When we moved back I got several quotes from french companies and all were over 12000€, and that was 10 years ago, one about 15k or there abouts.

I then gave up and got several quotes from UK companies and they were getting on for half the price in general.

And so we used a UK one, Britannia I think because they could do the dates we wanted. Now IF our agent immobilier had been honest, along with our notaire, we could have moved a week later and saved at least a £1000!....... bad language and bad thoughts being had here.

ps NH did not mention how much he paid did he! As long as he thought it was OK, then there is not reason to fuss, is there!

Report   Reply Quote

Patf wrote:
That's probably it Wooly.  British people seem to be more business-minded than the french.

Or the French charge full price each way and hang on / delay until they get both loads.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine