Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 38 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Garden hedging

I'm using Photinia both in the Lot and in deepest Surrey. More attractive than Laurel but forms a decent barrier.

Derek

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”
   Report   Reply Quote

DerekJ wrote:
I'm using Photinia both in the Lot and in deepest Surrey. More attractive than Laurel but forms a decent barrier.

++ Cheap enough, nice looking evergreen, reddish pink new foliage in Spring, and reasonably fast growing too.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

We had a 30m section of of garden next to a small path. It had a thorny hedge entangled with the ubiquitous metal/concrete posts and mesh in the region (dordogneshire). A pain to maintain.

We removed the thorny hedge and tried to make it more attractive by planting clematis to climb up the fence. So far a failure.

Currently trying honeysuckle with the occasional hibiscus which so far is doing ok.

Not really too interested in fast or semi-fast hedges as they need too much maintenance.

So, I personally would suggest a chain fence with various shrubs to your taste at intervals.

NB Photinia does look attractive.

My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

When we were in our first house in France we had a french man who helped with gardening, building etc. When we needed a new hedge he said just cut bits off the bushes you like and stick them in the soil. Which we did, and it worked. Can't remember what kind they were.
The plants were adapted to that type of soil. And they probably did the work at the best time of the year. And moon.
I don't think early Jan. is a good time.

Report   Reply Quote
Big Smile [:D]

I forgot all about the moon factor.
My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

Loiseau wrote:
Absolutely NOOOOO to bamboo! Have you thought of eleagnus ebingii?
Thought of it, I never heard of it! Big Smile [:D]
Thanks for the suggestion though, I will now go and google it.

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

In the olden day’s I would have said box.
   Report   Reply Quote

My parents’ neighbour had a beech hedge, it was lovely and didn’t appear to need too much maintenance. Over 50 years on its still just as good.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine