Driving in France

Topic has 30 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:
Big Smile [:D]

Re: Cancelling Car Insurance.

Many, many thanks to all who posted replies.  I've learnt something as a result of this and I'm still trying to cancel the insurance, I've asked the agent if declaring the car out of service will enable them to cancel but I feel the issue is the policy is in it's first year and, despite this being their fault, they won't cut me any slack.

I've asked them to reduce the cover to responsibilite civile and we'll visit our nearest scrapper to ask what we may be allowed to remove from the car and it still be viable for them.  I assume they're most bothered about the metal in the car and not door panels etc.

Again many thanks.

Remember it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.
You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
   Report   Reply Quote

You could look around your area and see if there are any cars in gardens and out of service, then ask the owners what they do/did.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

I think most of these cars have been there since the Ark and as such are outside the system.

Remember it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.
You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
   Report   Reply Quote
Big Smile [:D]

Well I asked the insurance agent if a declaration "retraite de la circulation" would be good enough and they said "merci de nous transmettre un document qui nous précise que le véhicule est hors service ,si la résiliation est acceptée merci de nous retourner votre carte verte"

I suppose this is a step in the right direction.

Report   Reply Quote

EuroTrash wrote:
There is no SORN equivalent in France - no need because whether it's on or off the road doesn't change the legalities. In the UK, SORN means you don't have to have it taxed and insured. In France it still needs to be insured and there is no road tax in any case. So the administration isn't interested in whether it's on or off the road, they're only interested in who the current owner is up to the point when it gets scrapped (or exported). A

I no longer post on this forum but look in occasionally and have to make an exception on this occasion, the above is completely incorrect.

France has always had a procedure to declare a vehicle removed from the road, the OP will find all the détails here:

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F1754

There is a standard formulaire to fill in: Formulaire cerfa n°13756*02 de déclaration de retrait de circulation du véhicule

With that done your resiliation to your insurer will be recevable, they of course claim never to have heard of the procedure when you contradict them Cry Out [:'(]

The vehicle registration remains, its not a deregistration, the closest equivalent is indeed the SORN procedure, the carte grise will be marked "retiré de la circulation" you or a purchaser can put the car back on the road but will have to pay the cost of the carte grise which a purchaser would anyway, any vehicle casse will accept the remains with the carte grise and plates.

Report   Reply Quote

You no longer post Chancer but I bet you look in everyday.

So how is the other forum going ?

You all seem to be getting on swimmingly.....NOT ! LOL
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

If you have a problem with Chancer please send him/her a PM.  I appreciate his/her input on my problem and your post does nothing to help.  Unless you have something constructive to say please don't hijack my post.

Report   Reply Quote

Oooooh

Why not hop along to your local CT station and ask them. They will know. They put cars off the road everyday.

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine