Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 50 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Advice on selling please

I know agents aren’t in fashion but I’ve seen three sales go through them recently. My nearest British neighbours sold just over a year ago and I acted as keyholder, the agents were always positive that the house would sell, showed a lot of people around and it sold. Last summer two couples I’ve known for over 30 years both put their houses on the market through Lege*****s, both with high asking prices and both sold within weeks. Agents seem to have their place and act as a cr@p filter as well.
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks very much BritinBretagne. That's very helpful and hopeful. I've seen recently just how much cr@p the agents must head off at the pass. Been like a full-time job for me and would love to pass the honour of doing that on to someone else! I think it's been as difficult dealing with A as the enquirers. Viewing yesterday morning and not a dickie bird from him yet, about par for the course!

Regards

Eleanor

Report   Reply Quote

Its simple, you state clearly on the advert that interested parties should phone you and that you will not respond to e-mails, LBC messages or textos, that time wasting types that send the sort of messages you have been recieving will be filtered out because many of them cannot string a coherent sentence together or make themselves understood on the phone even if they are sober.

I learned the hard way, I do still get the occasional idiot but you can just hang up on them, block the number if need be, its much better to get a good idea of who you are dealing with before giving out an address for a RDV which they probably wont keep.

You must also do your utmost to not give any indication that the house is unoccupied unless you want squatters, they may well claim they had a RDV, you let them in and did a cash deal with them.

I would be wary of Fessbook for the same reasons unless you can insist only on contact by telephone.

Report   Reply Quote

Since adopting the "appelez-moi" technique I have had nothing but good expériences selling on Leconcoin.
   Report   Reply Quote

Sterling and very helpful advice thank you Chancer. Am currently considering all options. Very full week ahead with having to get more security installed here asap as well as a number of other urgent  matters to deal with, but shall surge forward  as soon as I can. No more new lbc-ers so far today but probably snoringly siesting at the mo and will leap into action later this eve as usual after a few bevvies, tho I now have the tools and knowledge to deal with it better - mostly ignore!

Regards

Loire

Report   Reply Quote

I had the opposite experience to Chancer, and now do not accept phone calls from my LBC ads.

Maybe it's to do with the region we live in, but when my phone number was available I received calls at all sorts of inconvenient times, some with background noise making it impossible to understand, and others from people who mumbled incoherently or couldn't even string their words together in a coherent manner.

Since the conversation I mentioned above, I only reply to sensible messages, and continue to use messages to elaborate on descriptions, discuss prices, and arrange payment etc..

I give my phone number only to make detailed arrangements for viewings, collection, shipping and payment, after I have their fixed phone number and have verified it.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks nomoss. Looking increasingly as tho all forms of contact with lbc users is to be avoided! Doesn't seem to be leading to anything positive re house sale.

Regards

Eleanor

Report   Reply Quote

Loire wrote:
Thanks nomoss. Looking increasingly as tho all forms of contact with lbc users is to be avoided! Doesn't seem to be leading to anything positive re house sale.

Regards

Eleanor

Not at all.

In the last couple of years I managed to sell a Classic RHD car for very close to the fairly optimistic price at which I listed it, and later on, all the spare parts for it which I had accumulated over the years, which I didn't want to scrap, but which were taking up space, for another €1800.

I have also bought two excellent cars, bicycles, hard-to-find remote TV and aircon controls, tools, and many items of furniture,all at bargain prices.

I think items have to be advertised at a realistic price to get  responses from serious buyers who don't want to miss out.

EDIT: I think it's worth considering that Ebay set up a small ads section in France a few years ago, but gave up when they found it couldn't compete with Le Bon Coin.
Maybe advertise the house for "Offers in excess of X,000€"

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine