French Language

Topic has 32 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: A few French homophones

Where we lived bread was 'ping'.
I have a few examples. One is coeur and queue.
The other, cou and cul .

Report   Reply Quote

Down here, if you say vingt as you shoudl they will not understand it.  So I've got used to pronouncing the "t" as in vin-te!  And on't get me started on vin and vent ... !!!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

I live near to rodez. the z is clearly pronounced like an English z. Nearby is goutrens rhyming with hens, not goutron and also testet with a silent final t. Everything seems to be irregular!
   Report   Reply Quote

I believe that place names do not always follow the rules, and are very much as the locals would say them, in their local accent too.

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

When we first moved here from the Charente Maritime (only 1 hour door-to-door), I was bewildered by the local place names as pronounced by the locals.

As soon as I could, I found a French class and begged the teacher to go through the names of all the local towns and villages with us.

But still trying to find a teacher to help with pronunciation of OTHER than place names!Woot! [:-))]  I have my quarry in sight but have to think up ways of persuading her to come out of retirement to teach me.

Now for a little anecdote to bring a smile to faces......

I was in the kiné's waiting-room earlier this week and an English couple came in so I said "bonjour" as we all do in these parts.  Then the woman began fussing as to where he should sit.  Being my (usual) helpful self, I offered him my seat which had arms that would help him to get back on his feet when his name was called.  I spoke in English upon which they thanked me in French and then the woman said "But you are not English and you speak our language so well!"

I nearly choked over the magazine I was reading....... 

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

What about walking group friends  or neighbours mint, won't they help.

I used to try and do the same, with pronunciations, ask  and inevitably make them laugh with my efforts. Some are still a bit ropey, but there you go, find it hard to get my mouth round some sounds.

Report   Reply Quote

mint wrote :
But still trying to find a teacher to help with pronunciation of OTHER than place names! I have my quarry in sight but have to think up ways of persuading her to come out of retirement to teach me.

Help might be at hand .. I use this online dictionary http://www.wordreference.com ..
as often it has 'écouter' so that you can hear the word spoken by a genuine French person or by a genuine Canadian person/speaker. A valuable tool I have used for years.
Also :
https://translate.google.com/m/translate
has improved exponentially over the years and also gives a listening option on the bottom lhs of the translation box.

Edit : sorry cannot make live links on my tablet .. it's a copy and paste job I'm afraid.
Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

mint says .....
vers as in vers Bordeaux (in the direction of.....)
vers minuit (around midnight...)
ver (worm)
........ you can also add
vert (as in green)
verre (as in glass)
vers (as in poetry)
vair (as in the fur)

Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine