French Food and Wine

Topic has 28 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Cauliflower Cheese and other gratins etc

Did Chancer's cheat's version and, whilst it isn't as good as my own cheese sauce, it tastes just fine and will be useful for when I am short of time or of patience or just feeling lazy.

I'll deffo use it for lasgne, however.

BTW, does anyone use chapelure on top to give it some crunch and look browner?  I also like to sprinkle on some pimente forte, again for the colour and that bit of heat.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Do you still cook things the way you learnt in France, Idun? I do , especially with seasonal fruit and veg. I try to keep things fresh and simple, I think it's much healthier.
I watch the recipes on this site:
https://www.750g.com/
Although they sometimes include blatant adverts for a product which isn't particularly healthy.

Report   Reply Quote

Yes, I do do much cooking exactly as I did in France. My cooking was always eclectic though, and I have new things I cook since returning, as I do like to experiment, sometimes it's good, sometimes it isn't, so I don't do it again.

Report   Reply Quote

I made a lovely (even if I do say so myself) spinach and cream cheese sauce, st agur, to go with salmon tonight. A little bit of milk and a bit of creme fraiche. No flour as it thickens nicely with the CF. Yum yum, much enjoyed it
   Report   Reply Quote

I have used the Jamy Oliver "Cauliflower Macaroni Cheese" recipe for a couple of years.
Quick, easy to make and delicious. He recommends pancetta but any old "jambon de pays" will do when grilled. The cheese used is french hard cheese so any Cantal as mentioned above or similar hard cheese will do. NO BECHAMEL !! ...... why spoil a good dish .....
Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

mogs wrote:
I made a lovely (even if I do say so myself) spinach and cream cheese sauce, st agur, to go with salmon tonight. A little bit of milk and a bit of creme fraiche. No flour as it thickens nicely with the CF. Yum yum, much enjoyed it

Mogs, do you blanch and drain the spinach first before putting it into the sauce?  Do you chop up raw spinach and just stir it in?

Please tell me what you do because I have some lovely looking salmon filets, St Agur and fresh spinach so I hope to make this for Easter.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Surely the best sauce with salmon is a l'oseille, and so easy to make.

Report   Reply Quote

We grew some oseille once, to see what it was like. I just cooked it like spinach.
It was difficult to dig up, has a long root, like dock.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine