French Food and Wine

Topic has 20 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: lettuce

The lettuce we bought or had given to us most in France was Batavia Grenoblois, with the red edges on the leaves...... and from the Alpes...... no wonder everyone grew it or ate it most.

Report   Reply Quote

You lot obviously shop in different places from me. I can buy endive easily and inexpensively locally, and our daily salad is usually a mix of whatever lettuce I've bought which can be rocket, frisée, romaine, little gem, lollo rosso....
And I don't throw much away, which is seldom my experience in France, where I can buy a head of lettuce one day and find it rotting in the fridge by day 3.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

We bought some endives last week, and they were fine, but we both agreed, that it was the wrong time of year......... they were something that we ate in autumn in France.

I agree, lettuces didn't keep in France, the heat in summer meant that much fruit and veg and salad stuff, never kept long. That was the reason for our family I would buy one batavia at a time and unless I had lots of folks round, would not buy a selection.

Report   Reply Quote

Endives round here are excellent all the year round. I eat them cooked or raw, chopped or whole either as part of a meal or as a snack, whole.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Only buy lettuce in the summer, and from the market if I can.  They go off or have no taste otherwise. Winter I like to use jeunes pousses d'epinard .... the advantage being that if they go a bit soggy you can use them as a veg.   I use a spinner when I do wash lettuce, as I always put a vinaigrette on it so bruised leaves don't matter to me.

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine