French Food and Wine

Topic has 20 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Tabouleh

Thank you, nm.  I have looked at your link and other images of the blighters.

Yes, those pink wrigglies in my rice bin are indeed pantry moth babies.  I have chucked out a huge container of split peas and another of cashew nuts.

Beats me how they get in as all my stuff is in containers (though maybe the lids are not as tight as they should be)Sad [:(]  I think OH might have found the source of the infestation.  I had 4 large bowls of walnuts and he found the lavae in all of them.  So that's all my walnuts, gathered over many walks, gone for a burtonAngry [:@]

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Don't throw all that food away!

Put the jars in the freezer overnight to kill the blighters, then pour them out on a nice clean table top and sort them out, as we used to do with the rice.

OK, we did rinse the rice in cold water before we cooked it, but the odd ingested weevil ain't going to hurt a couple of tough old persons like you, is it?

EDIT.-If we'd thrown away the rice because it had weevils, stones, and mouse crap in it when we lived in Sarawak, we'd not have had much to eat, and if we were bothered about little things like that, we couldn't have eaten in any local places.

Potatoes were really expensive, as they were only flown down by light aircraft from the mountains, or very old imported ones from far away.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

When I was a child we used to drive down to southern Italy every summer, camping. One year we took a large tin of Cadbury’s drinking chocolate with us which, for some reason, had wasps in it. I can remember my mother sieving the powder every time we used it.
   Report   Reply Quote

BritinBretagne wrote:
When I was a child we used to drive down to southern Italy every summer, camping. One year we took a large tin of Cadbury’s drinking chocolate with us which, for some reason, had wasps in it. I can remember my mother sieving the powder every time we used it.

Very sensible, your Mum. Drinking chocolate is probably unobtainable in Italy, and the wasps would float to the top so you could easily skim them offBig Smile [:D]

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Very good link, Nomoss, thanks. And I've heard the tip about putting in the freezer. We often saw the little moths flying round the kitchen, searching for a place to lay their eggs.
Mint - your infestation could have started before you bought whatever it was. ie the eggs could have already have been laid before packaging etc.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine