Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 25 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Home Staging in France

There was an article on french news yesterday about vendors home staging their property in order to sell and spending about 3-4% of the asking price on this.

Apparently it is working and properties are selling quite quickly when they are 'staged'. As they said, people want to see where they can live. Old fashioned France, it would seem, is not going down so well with buyers any more, clean and modern lines are selling.

I remember watching some of the House Doctor programs well before ours was up for sale and in reality it always seemed very sensible. I did some of the basics, like getting rid of clutter and simply making the place look it's best, whether that helped or not, I don't know as we put ours up just as the market crashed.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Home Staging in France

Home staging might well work, but thinking of places we looked at with a view to buying could just have done with a good tidy! Washing all over the place, kids' toys/clothes etc all over the place, dirty pots and pans everywhere when we turned up with estate agents, who had pre-booked a time to view the properties - just a few of the things we came across in the Drome.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

I wonder, if it catches on, whether the next stage might be for agents to get some photography lessons. I remember, among the classics, a photo of a "kitchen", which actually focused on a half-open cupboard door with a range of supermarket carrier bags hanging from it, and another which was just a photograph of a coffee table with photos and portraits of the family.....

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote
Confused [8-)]

gardengirl wrote:
Home staging might well work, but thinking of places we looked at with a view to buying could just have done with a good tidy! Washing all over the place, kids' toys/clothes etc all over the place, dirty pots and pans everywhere when we turned up with estate agents, who had pre-booked a time to view the properties - just a few of the things we came across in the Drome.

I always found the ironing board was a great enhancement and created a suitable ambiance.Woot! [:-))]

Derek

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”
   Report   Reply Quote

DerekJ wrote:
I always found the ironing board was a great enhancement and created a suitable ambiance.Woot! [:-))]

But you're only doing half the job and getting half the effect if the ironing board is not piled high with ironing. Whistles [Www]

I remember a post on one of the forums directing us to house particulars where there were photos of the very tatty kitchen complete with grandad eating his meal and glaring furiously at the camera. Not a warm and encouraging sight at all, contrary to what the agent might have thought. I suppose it might have been an en viager arrangement and in which case I suppose the photo of the incumbent was useful...

Friends went to view a house on the market because of a couple divorcing... and it looked as if they'd made the decision half-way through a meal as the mouldering remains of food on plates and a casserole dish with contents were still on the table. Even so, they bought the house... the kitchen had been cleared when they moved in... but the casserole was later found, still with contents, under a shrub in the garden.

Report   Reply Quote

I totally agree with the point about estate agents' photography. It's often appalling. There's a hilarious property ad in my local London paper at the moment where the picture of the front of the house is half filled by a passing lorry. To think that someone's paid for that!

Report   Reply Quote

Well.......at least prospective buyers will know that it's probably on a road where there's so much traffic that there's not even time between passing lorries to get a photo of the front door!Big Smile [:D]

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

I went to a HomeExpo show in Bordeaux and I saw a company that did this home staging stuff.

They would furnish your house with the basics if needs be, down to curtains and "peripherals", and "lend" you all the furnishings until such time as your house is sold.

They said their price started at 1000 euros and I actually thought that was very reasonable!

However, I didn't quite believe their spiel that some of their houses sold in under a month.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine