French Education

Topic has 7 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

English BAC 18 June

Our youngest did his BAC English this week. Question D. caused us some concern

"D. Say whether the following statement is Right or Wrong.

Mr Fonseka's goal is likely to have a prestigious career.

Justify your answer with two quotations"

To us, this is not correct English. If the people who set the papers cannot get it right, it does make you wonder about those who correct them! Luckily our youngest knows the answer to the question should be taken from the text and not to challenge the grammar of the question!
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: English BAC 18 June

What was the text?

I often found examples of English that was simply 'wrong' in  French text books and preferred to use exercises from books by native speaking authors..

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

The one the "non english" question was based on was taken from Michael Ondaatje, The Cat's Table 2011.
   Report   Reply Quote

The faith shown in Great British Literature is touching (not that I have anything against Mr Ondaatje, although I've only read "The English Patient") when, with such a plethora of authors to choose from, they've picked a Sri-Lankan born Canadian. Big Smile [:D]

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

That is another point. As good "Europeans" French teachers of English have a tendency to put a stress on non-British authors and texts....

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

I wonder if the passage is from this:
http://www.best-read.com/read/The_Cats_Table/Chapter_7.html

and the question should read
Mr Fonseka's goal is to have  a prestigious career

- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

That is the question our son gave the answer to Norman. However, talking to one of his French pals today, they did not understand the question so had difficulty in giving a correct answer as the question does not make (English) sense. It has been obvious during our children's education here, that English does not mean the same thing as it does not us! Neither do some teachers like being (politely) corrected by bi-lingual adolescents.
   Report   Reply Quote

My friends children were like ours, english parents, children born and educated in France.

Their daughter's english teacher had put 'very well' when they marked their work. Since when did 'tres bien' as a complement translate directly into english ?

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine