French Education

Topic has 5 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Wow

Our youngest got his BAC results which allowed him to apply for the course at FAC he wanted. Filled in all the paperwork on line, spent 3 hours ringing the accommodation service and were told we needed to go the same day to them to pay the first months rent and sign for his 9 square metre "cell". Did that and dropped off the course registration papers. That was last Tuesday. Thursday morning post arrived, Photo ID student card, course registration papers, restaurant card. All done and dusted in two working days. Never seen such efficiency from the fonctionnaires. Just shows what can be done when your holidays start on the Friday!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Wow

Congratulations to your youngest, and to you for your efforts on his behalf.

Sue

Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks Sue, we have been very pleased with the French education system, and it helps having children who want to learn. Its not all been plain sailing with the authorities, but the speed and efficiency in this particular case amazed us!
   Report   Reply Quote

Lehaut, I'm glad that you child has done well, sincerely I am. And I hope that they do well at the fac too.

BUT really, do you actually believe that those that don't do well, don't want to learn????????? think again!

Such disparaging remarks about those you perceive as not wanting to learn............. just be happy that you have had no problems.

Report   Reply Quote

IMO the French system does not encourage hard work up to the end of Lycee. Yes there are financial incentives for getting decent marks in the Brevet and the Bac but 10/20 as a pass and this will get you studying law or medicine. No wonder the drop out numbers at Uni's here are so high after the first year as the kids have been used to doing just enough to move up through the schools.
   Report   Reply Quote

Idun, I made no comment about other people's children, nor implied anything about other people's children. You appear to have completely the wrong end of the stick or have read something I have not written. I reiterate, my post was to make a favourable comment about the French efficiency in this area, nothing to do at all with our or any child's ability. If you have a problem, work on it, don't try to take it out on other people who have nothing to do with you or it.

I completely agree about the comments about FAC and the drop out. The medical FAC at Caen has nearly 1800 for the first year medicine, and (I think) 380 for the second year. The financial waste is immense and the only requirement for entrance is a BAC pass. There is also no industry involvement in University research, all is funded by the tax payer. I have tried to have conversations with French people about the UK system, but they do not entertain the idea at all. Its a system ripe for reform, but there is no political will to do so. And there there is Prepa and the Grande Ecoles, funded at the expense of the University system. There has been talk about reforming this, but many of those in power came up through this route and are reluctant to change it.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine