French Food and Wine

Topic has 30 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

recipe please for a cake with fresh figs

Figs nice and black and juicy at last!

Does anyone have a recipe for a cake using fresh figs?

Nothing fancy or fiddly or has too many ingredientsIdea [I]

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: recipe please for a cake with fresh figs

I googled cake aux figues and came up with this:
http://www.cuisineactuelle.fr/recettes/cake-aux-figues-202535
I think the Rustica magazine is giving fig recipes in their next edition.
Personally I don't enjoy figs, too sweet for me, and no other flavour, but I know most people like them, and they're good for you.

Report   Reply Quote

If you have lots of figs make a confit of them as whole and sugary as possible and then send me a few jarsSmile [:)]

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

When we are awash with figs, I make this one a lot...
http://www.lifelovefood.co/turkish-yogurt-cake-with-figs-torta/

It is light, fresh and lovely!
   Report   Reply Quote

Ah, yes, I knew I wouldn't go far wrong, asking this type of question on the forumBig Smile [:D]

Pat, that is an interesting site with both sweet and savoury cake recipes using figs.

And Mrs Bucket, that yogurt cakes look stunning I will feel very proud to present that to anyone.  Do you think the Greek yogurt from the supermarkets will be full fat as called for by the recipe?

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Take off the stalk (if it's still there) and crisis-cross the fruit to about half its depth.

Put them (2/person) in a Pyrex or similar small bowl and stuff a little bit of brown sugar into the cavity. Pour over a little bit of whatever booze you happen to have - maybe something you're trying to get rid of. In the oven for 10 mins at 150C.

Serve with ice cream.
   Report   Reply Quote

I bought a fig tree clearly labeled 'Brown Turkish Fig' and when it grew up, it produced lots of green figs! I lost the first lot as they rotted while I was waiting for them to turn brown.  I find that they will be hard, then one day they turn soft and the following day, rotten.  I'm the only one in my family that likes them so I will be exploring the recipes given above.
I tried fig jam once but it didn't set well.  Something in the fig interferes with pectin apparently.

Do not believe anything until it has been officially denied
   Report   Reply Quote

I just use whatever plain yogurt I have in the house, and splodge in a tablespoon of créme fraîche to "greek" it up a bit. Also, although the recipe doesn't call for it, I add a tiny pinch of cinnamon to the cake batter, which seems to boost the flavour.

It's a very forgiving cake recipe, nothing needs to be too exact.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine