French Food and Wine

Topic has 22 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:
Angry [:@]

Re: Poireau??

Has anyone else noticed, whilst Poireau are an autumn harvested legume (in theory), the damned things utterly lack any real "leek" flavour, this year.

Mrs Gluey and I purchased these from both Aldi (whose leeks are usually good and fresh) and then from Carrefour at greater cost.

No leek flavour.

Just returned from a 3 week sojourn in la belle and in the North it was rather cold; therefore after working in the garden etc, a nice warming bowl of leek and potato is usually just the job and hits the spot rather well.

Not this time around; it was dire...

"Yes, but that apart, Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?"

Gluestick
   Report   Reply Quote

I usually include one onion in my leek and potato soup, to give the flavour a boost.
Did your fresh leeks have that all-pervading leek smell when you bought them? If not, maybe that indicates they were an "improved" variety that lacks both smell and taste.

Angela
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, I have noticed that too. Carrots recently have been lovely though, very sweet and carroty!
   Report   Reply Quote

Loiseau wrote:
I usually include one onion in my leek and potato soup, to give the flavour a boost. Did your fresh leeks have that all-pervading leek smell when you bought them? If not, maybe that indicates they were an "improved" variety that lacks both smell and taste. Angela

Not a very leeky smell, Angela.

Still, yesterday, Mrs G popped into Lidl for some necessary comestibles and spotted fresh leeks for £1 (Chavda were nearly £3!); and is busy as I write making a fresh daffy of Leek and Potato soup, so fingers crossed... I munched a little of the fresh cut leek and it tasted excellent.

P.S. We also always include one onion.

Gluestick
   Report   Reply Quote

idun wrote:
Yes, I have noticed that too. Carrots recently have been lovely though, very sweet and carroty!

Totally agree about the carrots, Idun.

The organic variety from Aldi store in our little Canton town have been excellent.

I love carrots when they are fresh and sweet.

Yummy.

Gluestick
   Report   Reply Quote

I grew leeks for the first time this year. In the spring I got 100 seedling from a local nursery for a couple of euros, well I say 100 but there was closer to double that and I was planting them everywhere and giving loads away.  They grew well and whilst  they are not huge (down to my lack of watering I think) they are tender and tasty.  Will definitely do it again next year.

Edit:  Gluey, you may know the nursery at Dennebroeucq, near Denlys Parc. I always go there for veg, toms, bedding plants as they are of excellent quality - highly recommended

Do not believe anything until it has been officially denied
   Report   Reply Quote

I didn't know that one, Pierre.

A neighbour, a very hard working young man and his wife (the daughter of the largest local farmer and ex-maire) run a huge and rapidly expanding bio-seedling nursery and this would usually be my first call.

Since he only next door but one........

So I was told, Welsh miners, who of course were famed for their leeks, used to nick the odd stick or two of blasting gelignite - particularly when it started to sweat! - and would dump these in a galvanised bucket of rainwater and hide away in the little hut on their allotment.

Loads of Nitrogen ideal for green veggies.

Not uncommon for huts to explode at odd hours...
Cry Out [:'(]

Gluestick
   Report   Reply Quote
Big Smile [:D]

Hooray! At Last!!

Leek and Potato soup for dejeuner: and it.....tasted of LEEK!

These (Lidl) came from Cambrideshire.

Big Smile [:D]

Gluestick
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine