French Food and Wine

Topic has 38 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

A recipe from 1905

Just one of many

Marinated mackerel

Choose fresh, smallish mackerel. Grill then skin quite crudely and carefully remove the bones.
In a flat bottomed dish, place layers of mackerel and finely chopped onions. Add thyme, laurel, salt, pepper and a pinch of Cayenne pepper.
Cover with boiling vinegar and marinate for 48 hours.
To serve, place the mackerel on the plate without the marinade and garnish with beetroot marinaded in vinegar, sliced small tomatoes and pink shrimps. If you want to have a colour contrast use sliced gherkins instead.
(Translated from LFCE)
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: A recipe from 1905

Have you made it Wooly? Sounds delicious, I love mackerel. Not sure if it's available at the moment?

Report   Reply Quote

I have got tons of the recipes and am gonna try and make some.

Plenty of mackerel round here at the moment.
   Report   Reply Quote

Then u could try raw mackerel fillets simply marinated in white wine with a squeeze of lemon or lime. You can layer the fillets with onion and herbs of your choice. Put in fridge for 24 hrs and it is done. The wine and juice slowly cook the fillet.
JFB

Report   Reply Quote

Thank you John, an interesting alternative though not sure if they did it in 1905, perhaps in the north.

I am gonna make one of the simple entrees this weekend and post it, so watch this space, folks.
   Report   Reply Quote

I thought I had just replied and it seems to not have posted, apologies if it comes up later.

I said, I am looking forward to seeing how it goes and more importantly how it tastesBig Smile [:D]

Came back to this as I was wondering what you are going to serve with your fish. For all I would probably have some sort of salad, I would certainly have some potatoes, as I just love potatoes with oily fish.

Report   Reply Quote

As the fish one is an entree, I am not sure that anything like spuds or anything alse would have been served with it, probably because it would have been too filling.

I am just gonna work down a long list of entrees, post many and make some, just as they were in 1905-1912. Maybe at rhythm of one per weekish.
If anyone chooses to make them , then please let's have your reactions.

Report   Reply Quote

In truth we never had many decent restaurants near us in France, but one, up in the mountains was great, until they moved on to pastures new.

And one of their entrees was marinated herring or mackerel,  chopped into small pieces and mixed in the a potato salad, with a couple of leaves of lettuce as garnish, never a big plate full, but absolutely delicious. They did wonderful starters, but that was what I usually had, as it was my favourite.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine