French Language

Topic has 46 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

British words the French are pronouncing incorrectly

Following on from Minty's thread, what British words do the French pronounce incorrectly ?

My surname is one (I have accepted that my surname and the kids surname) will never be pronounced correctly in France....I have even resorted to adopting their pronunciation when making appointments or whatever. You just have to live with it.

So what other British words can the French not pronounce ? For starters...

- Ships
- Chips
- Sheep

They can't do them. Or differentiate between them.

Any others ?
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: British words the French are pronouncing incorrectly

child and children

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

My surname also and basically all words with an aspirated "H"
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

My surname proves difficult for French people too, which starts with 'Th', plus other such words, like thumb, think, Thursday etc.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

I remember my kids friends having difficulty saying 'apple', right tongue twister that was for 7 year olds...... but they could do the 'th' sound at that age.

Report   Reply Quote

I remember a night in Yugoslavia (as was) exchanging a night teaching a student trying to correctly say "the" , for a bottle of slivovitz (and a mighty hangover the next morning).
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

Some French friends who otherwise speak excellent English just can't do "guard" or "Guardian". They always stick in a W:
gward/gwardian
   Report   Reply Quote

Which shows that English or French most prononciation errors are caused by knowing the spelling of the word and seeing it mentally, the words that I correctly pronounce I will often write incorrectly, sometimes for years before I see them written.

I recall the children of my French teacher, they were 3 and 5 when we first met, teenagers now, the boy who was at school did very well, no surprise as maman was an English teacher but when we practiced English words he would struggle with pronouncing those that he already knew and critically knew how to spell, his little sister would pick them up instantly and was not hindered by "seeing" the words, she could not even read or write at that time.

Now as teenagers she has far far better prononciation than him proving the value of early learning.

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine