French Language

Topic has 12 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

another car vocabulary question, please

If the timing belt is the courroie de distribution, what is the "timing" called?

Got the car back from the garage and it just isn't right; sluggish to start and doesn't sound right either.  He's changed the spark plugs and now I shall have to take it back.

I feel completely overwhelmed at the moment as I seem to have to do everything twice because NOTHING is right the first time.  Made a virement at the bank, sorry virement not been done.  Arrange car insurance, giving precise details, but OH has been named the principal driver.  Does it matter who is the principal driver?  I shall be the one driving as he has his own car but, for example, does it cost more if the person is older the way it is for a mutuelle?

Exhausted and depressed so, please help!  I am now not functioning properly, can't spin all the plates at once and keep them from fallingSad [:(]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: another car vocabulary question, please

Chill Minty...chill

Deal with one problem at a time.

What is the type of car that is having problems ? Audi, BMW, VW, Skoda,....French Car...eek. Ford ??? What car is it and what is the problem ?

There are enough people on this forum that can help with the mechanics. Dave knows his stuff and others.

The insurance and bank transfer are easy to deal with after a good nights sleep.

Chill.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Calage

Correctly spoken is calage d'allumage, unless you have a diesel and are talking about the injector timing.

Report   Reply Quote

What makes you think it's the timing ?

Don't forget to ask for your old spark plugs back BTW, obviously they were not the problem !

Report   Reply Quote

Thank you for your responses. 

Erns, I don't KNOW it's the timing but OH TELLS me that's what it is..............though he only knows a very little more than I do.

It's sluggish to start and sluggish to change up (it's an automatic).

When I have the garagiste's answer, I will come back and tell you.

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Timing doesnt change on a modern vehicle, what you describe sounds like one of two things.

Engine running on LOS (limited operating strategy, mode degradé) following a sensor failure or an abnormal reading - get the fault codes checked.

Blocked catalytic convertor, usually following an O2 sensor fault which will also have caused LOS

Report   Reply Quote

Sounds to me like a fuel problem.

Maybe the pump ???

But then again I can only do basic mechanics on old cars.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Remember mint that there are also beaucoup french people who do not know these terms either........... will hazard a guess at the necessary term....... or notWhistles [Www]......

.......... or use machintruc and bruit as terms that have to have some meaning for the mechanic, even mimic the sound.......... yes, I have heard that too...... and why not?Smile [:)]

And lets face it, we do know our cars running  'sound' and if it is off, then we are more than aware.

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine