French Language

Topic has 12 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

tough/ tender minded

Is there a french equivalent for tough/ tender minded? I'm trying to write something including those words, and the concept doesn't seem to exist in France.
ps I've found one, "le coeur sur le main" for a warmhearted person.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: tough/ tender minded

I'm sure you can talk about coeur dur and coeur tendre.

Come to think of it, don't we also say tender hearted rather than tender minded ??
   Report   Reply Quote

PS I thought le coeur sur la main meant generous / soft hearted rather than tender hearted, very similar but not quite the same to me, or maybe that is actually what you want to say.
   Report   Reply Quote

For 'tough' in the sense of 'hard hearted' I would say simply 'dur(e)' or 'impitoyable' but you might consider
'avoir le coeur dur' 'insensible' 'sans coeur' (heartless)

for the opposite logically there is 'tendre' and 'sensible'...'plein(e) de tendresse' but that is going a bit further and more likely to describe a phrase or a gesture..

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Résolu?
D'esprit tendre?
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

A French friend of mine says of her husband that he has a "coeur d'artichaut", which I took to mean he is tender-hearted or an old softie. Not sure if that is an official French description, though, or if it is just said within their family.
Where is Eric?!
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks for the replies.
I've realised that part of the problem is the philosophical difference between tough/ tender minded and tough/ tender hearted.
ie do feelings arise in the brain or the heart?
But I'm not up to debating that now!
I remember completing a questionnaire ages ago in a book by HJ Eysenck, Uses and Abuses of Psychology, following his theory of opposing dimensions of personality, in which this was one of the dimensions.

Report   Reply Quote

Well if you are thinking of 'tough' as able to resist stress
 I would say résistant'   (support bien les épreuves)

In general problems of translation often come from an unclear expression/definition in the first language which is why it is much better to give a whole phrase than an individual word so there is some context to work with.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine