French Language

Topic has 65 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

I would have had to...........

How do you say that in French, svp?

That and "it would have been"?

If I tried to work it out for myself, I am bound to get it wrong and, just this once, it's important that I can say what I mean!

Sovereignty: the right to eat cholorinated chicken.
from The Little Book of Brexit Bo ll oc ks
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: I would have had to...........

Could you use devoir? Je devais ....etc.
It probably uses the subjunctive which I never learned.
Should have would have could have etc.
There's also the conditional form of the verb, which I don't know either.

Report   Reply Quote

No it's not subjunctives, it's conditionals (I think! I've forgotten all my grammar terminology)..

Often for I would have had to, the easiest way is to use Il aurait fallu (= it would have been necessary to, (il m'aurait fallu if you specifially want to get the 'me' in), followed by the infinitive.
There is also 'j'aurais dû' but that's more I should have than I would have had to - it suggest you failed to do something that you should have done.

It would have been = Il/ cela aurait été.
   Report   Reply Quote

I think they need the conditional, Mint.

1. J'aurais dû
2. il aurait été

are what I would use, not confident though. I hope somebody else will pop along soon who really does know

Sorry, scratching my head trying to remember meant ET posted before me. I think I need more revision!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Spot on,.

j'aurais dû followed by verb infinitif

Il aurait été followed by verb infinitif

I was very proud when I worked those out by myself from obeservation, listening then trying them and gauging the reaction, it was the first real milestone of my informal learning after my lessons stopped, given your level Mint I am surprised you did not conquer those a long time ago but perhaps you are following structured learning, profs dont like helping you run before they think you can walk.

I recall early on wanting to get to grips with coulda shoulda woulda!

Eurotrash, you make a good point, I need to revisit my learning and be able to differentiate between the two nuances.

Report   Reply Quote

I bet you pick up on the difference unconsiously when you hear it Chancer, but maybe not consciously when you're saying it yourself.

J'aurais dû envoyer un chèque - I should have sent a cheque (but I forgot and now I've got a late payment penalty slapped on).

Il m'aurait fallu envoyer un chèque - I would have had to send a cheque (if I hadn't lived near enough to call in and pay cash).

Devoir is a beggar to translate sometimes because it means should and it means must, and to an English mind should and must don't mean the same thing.
   Report   Reply Quote

Me not knowing all the grammar, would say il aurait ete. Would have just come out.

But is it right???? I'm not sure, but for me it seems to have always said what I wanted it tooWhistles [Www]

Report   Reply Quote

Yes I think we're unanimous on il aurait été :-)
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine