French Language

Topic has 14 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

An alternative to Google translate

I don't use Google translate for French, but for those that do there is a newish alternative for French-English here:
https://www.deepl.com/translator

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: An alternative to Google translate

I have just tried it, Norman. Seems to work well with quite natural translations of some tricky phrases.
   Report   Reply Quote

I thought it was quite good, but it is of course limited to a few European languages.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Seems nifty to me .. so thank you Norman.
I often have quite awkward stuff to translate and whilst I fairly often use Google-translate to give me an overall view it really doesn't handle ne + que plus other similar phrases at all well so I am happy to have a (better) option.

Sue
Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

I never bother with these things.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

There is an article on it in the latest Connexion France news https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/New-online-translator-more-powerful-than-Google with some a a link to a le Monde article comparing various translation services. In general, Google was still better.
   Report   Reply Quote

If it's in the Correction it's usually wrong.Big Smile [:D]
How that keeps going I will never know..
The Le Monde article is itself hilarious, in that it trials the translators with the Emily Dickinson poem:

To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,
One clover, and a bee.
And revery.
The revery alone will do,
If bees are few.

And comments on
" un problème sur l’expression « will do » (« suffira », et non « fera »

Of course the correct translation of 'will do' in this sense is 'suffira' (will suffice) a
and not 'will do' as preferred by Le Monde so that completely destroys the credibility of the journalists as capable judges
Stick out tongue [:P]

- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

ALBF wrote : I never bother with these things.

Mmm, I suppose that you don't often have to deal with nuances as I do.

Sue
Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine