Driving in France

Topic has 8 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

International Driving Permits (with French License)

Has anyone applied for one of these recently. Ours are due for renewal (forthcoming trip to NZ). As usual we went to the sous prefecture to be told that we need to apply to Nantes now. I can't seem to find the form that we now need to use. I know exactly what we have to attach to the form but cannot seem to find the form itself. Can anyone help please?
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: International Driving Permits (with French License)

It's all here , and it also confirms the Nantes address.

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/R33870

Report   Reply Quote

Thanks a lot - got it now. Problem was that sous prefecture at Marmande had the wrong website on its literature.....
   Report   Reply Quote

Minnie
I too a few years ago had to have an International Driving Licence for use in NZ as I visit each year.
However, as it was about to expire last year I decided to go to an official NZ translator of French and have the French Driving Licence translated for posterity.
The one I went to lives in Cambridge (NZ) and cost $50.
   Report   Reply Quote

That's very interesting - worth bearing in mind. Thanks. We go each year as our daughter lives there.

Report   Reply Quote

We obtained them for a trip to OZ last year but neither the camper van or hire car companies were interested in them our French licences were good enough on their own.

Were/are they actually needed in NZ ?

Post Brexit it's entirely possible that we could be going back to UK licences !

Report   Reply Quote

AnOther
All acceptable driving licences for use in NZ must be in the English language or an official translation in English of the original to be held with the original.
Quote from New Zealand Transport Agency.
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks for that.

It was very quick and easy - and FREE - to get the French IDP's so I guess keeping those up to date is probably the simplest option, they are valid for 3 years.

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine