French Language

Topic has 661 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Clair, are you paying attention? Useful expressions!

D'abord, apologies to Clair.  Of course, this thread isn't meant JUST for Clair, no more than the thread "Norman, are you listening?" meant just for Norman.

I thought I'd start a thread with "useful expressions" as I am continually coming up against French expressions that obviously have meanings for my French friends and neighbours but mean next to nothing to me.

My first expression is:  j'en ai pour (time).  So, I said to the notaire yesterday afternoon, "J'en ai pour dix minutes" and he reassured me that that was no problem.

I understand this phrase to mean, it will only take 10 minutes or I only need 10 minutes of your time.

Does anyone else use this expression and have I got its sense correct?

There, never say that there is nothing new on the Forum and that everyone has left!Stick out tongue [:P]

Sovereignty: the right to eat cholorinated chicken.
from The Little Book of Brexit Bo ll oc ks
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Clair, are you paying attention? Useful expressions!

Oh!

I think it could have meant that he would be with you, but what he was doing would only take ten minutes??

Depends on the whole conversation I suppose.Blink [blink]

Mind you that could be ages whatever the context as 'un instant' can take a very long time!

Report   Reply Quote

I reckon you have it right. I have also heard it used by someone who was going out to do something else meaning 'I will only be away for 10 minutes'  or someone asking you to wait.'I will be busy with something for 10 minutes'

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes you are right (both) about "en avoir pour........minutes/hours/days".
Yesterday someone asked me about the expression "avoir beau (faire quelque chose)" - he thought it was the same as "même si" - not quite, though.
For instance, if you say: "J'ai beau me lever tôt le matin, je n'arrive jamais à tout faire"
So it is "even though". It's a strange expression, I had never thought about it like this.

Report   Reply Quote

Ah, "même" is endlessly interesting for me.

"à même", for example to mean, not just or not only.

On ne mange à même la table.  Où sont les assietes? 

Sovereignty: the right to eat cholorinated chicken.
from The Little Book of Brexit Bo ll oc ks
   Report   Reply Quote

C'est la vie.

David

Report   Reply Quote

I'm currently trying to make an effort to disentangle the multitude of uses to which the expression "A priori" seems to be put in French, and, more importantly, why!
It seems to mean anything from "in the first place" to "in principle" to the normal, quasi-legal use as I understand it in English. But why?

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Sorry for my late arrival on this thread Smile [:)]

A priori, la neige, en novembre, ça ne devrait pas surprendre, mais je ne pensais pas en voir ce matin, même si la météo avait prévu une légère couche... Blink [blink]

Clair
En Deuil - 8 Nov. 16

Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
Dalai Lama

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine