Swimming Pools in France

Topic has 10 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Cost of maintenance: Var

Could anybody give me an idea of the costs of a weekly visit by the average pool man to maintain a grp pool in the Var; I have absolutely no idea, and would like to know before renting the digger....

Thanks!
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Cost of maintenance: Var

Know this is unhelpful, but if you have to ask, then it's too much!!!

We have a house in Dordogneshire and unless its going to be used an awful lot or as part of a renting enterprise its not worth the hassle.
My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

I'm minded to agree, however sadly my wife requires a pool. Holiday house; not rented and occupied circa 3 months per year. Hence I am not always around to maintain a pool. I'm wondering if it's the circa €1000pa I expect, or something ridiculous that I will resent, but pay anyway in the interests of marital harmony!
   Report   Reply Quote

You may well also require a local person as a contact for other (eg garden, house etc) maintenance whilst you are away..

Perhaps it may be prudent to approach the local Marie for advice. Someone on the forum may be able to provide a ball-park figure as you request.

Sorry for my negative response.
My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

I can’t be precise, but I will ask our Belgian neighbours who are down here this week, what they pay. I’ll come back on that.

About 3 years ago, he told me that it was around €50 / week, but that’s for around 20 weeks of course. With price inflation, €1200 seems like a sensible number, but that may be well out of date.

Of course, one major thing to consider is what happens if anything goes wrong. If you have a contract, then they are required to fix it ......... and quickly! That may or may not be at your’s or their expense, depending .......

If you attempt to manage the pool yourself and turn up in July to find it green and don’t know what to do to fix it ......... then the pool companies will say that they’ll come when & if. Understandable - their first responsibility is to their contracted clients.

Report   Reply Quote

On the other hand we have friends with a pool who do all of their maintenance themselves. They are here for around 4/5 months each summer and simply lower the levels, drain the pumps and filters and cover the pool for the winter (autumn and spring). So far no problems that could not be solved with Ph control and sufficient chlorine, coupled with regular cleaning through the filters and with a robot .

Maybe just lucky.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

Sorry for the delay in getting back on this.

Just seen my neighbour and he said €1500. Andy is right, he probably could do it himself, but (1) he can’t be bothered with all the winterisation / de-winterisation / dealing with problems & (2) he has friends who use the property regularly and having them turn up on a hot mid-Summer Saturday only to find that the pool is green .........!

Hope that helps.

Report   Reply Quote
Sad [:(]

Don't forget about the increased electricity bill that you will incur!
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine