French Language

Topic has 4 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

French as the world language?

is French going to become the new world language?Probably not
but this article is worth reading, even if only for some of the amusing quotations it contains.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/02/french-language-world-lingua-franca-emmanuel-macron-optimism-grandiose

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: French as the world language?

It is widely spoken in certain parts of the Sahara!
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Not widely spoken in Eymet !!!

If the French language can't conquer Eymet I am not sure it has much chance as a world language.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

It will always be a major world language but not likely to ever reach dizzy heights. That honour will come from China or Spain with English always up there as well. It’s one contest that England and Germany will never have to settle with a penalty shootout, German is a real also ran in world terms.
   Report   Reply Quote

BinB is spot on:

https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/the-10-most-spoken-languages-in-the-world

What the future holds is probably not what western countries envisage.

My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine