The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 19 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

culture clash!

And this time, it really, really wasn't my faultWink [;-)]

Let me explain:

Haven't been feeling exactly in the pink lately and with medical appointments all of Christmas week, including one on 23rd and one on 26th Dec, I'd decided to pass on all the festivities.  So no acceptance of invitations and none extended.

However, I agreed to look after a friend's cat whilst she went to Paris to visit family.  In the end, the cat was so poorly that she didn't feel she wanted to go away.  Rotten as I felt, I couldn't bear to think that she'd be all on her own for Christmas with a moribund cat.

So, I emailed her, asking whether she would like to come to us "le jour de Noel, le 25".......just to be sure that she'd realise that I meant Christmas Day itself and not for the réveillon or anything else on the 24th.

Christmas Eve arrived, dreadful weather so no going out was possible, especially in my delicate state (hah!).  8.30pm and friend rang asking what time she should come round!  I said, didn't you read my message?  But, OK, come anyway if you feel lonely...........

So, not all misunderstandings between migrants and the indigenous population are due to the ignorance of the migrantsIdea [I] 

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: culture clash!

The easiest way to get rid of a French person during Christmas is to offer them a Mince Pie. In fact, I think that is why they were invented. One bite and they will be off.

I have never heard of the phrase 'in the pink' before....I love that.

'I'm not feeling 'pinky' today".

Have we just invented a new cool phrase ?

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Didn't like to explain that we eat our main Christmas meal on the day itself and not start some time in the evening of the 24th and eat far into the night.

Mind you, I find that that is not such a rigid tradition as it used to be as I have come across many of my walking friends who frown on eating a large, greasy meal in the middle of the night.

But we are a bit of an minority group as we are mostly into keeping fit and not over-eating.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

You've been doing it all wrong Mint, if you invite someone for Xmas dinner you must not bring out the first course till at least half an hour after midnight on the 24th, the preceeding hours are to be spent drinking loads, having multiple servings of amuses bouches and smoking.

When you bring out the onion soup they will know its time to go.

Xmas budget 2017 chez Chancer unchanged from 2016, also 100% more and 100% less.

Report   Reply Quote

How do you know about the onion soup Chancer ?

We went to a wedding once in Brittany that was held outside in the garden at the parents mansion which was basically a huge house on cliff with its own private beach. It was wow. You won't find a place like that on leg it.

Anyway, the onion soup came out about 5 in the morning. Just as it was starting get light.

The desert finished about 4 am.

Hmmm...I am not into this French tradition of eating through the night. In fact, I am not even sure the French like it either. Its like foie Gras, people eat it but actually don't like it. They eat it because its tradition.

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

alittlebitfrench wrote:
Its like foie Gras, people eat it but actually don't like it. They eat it because its tradition.

I eat it at least twice a week. Why? Because I love it!

A friend in need's a pest. Get rid.
   Report   Reply Quote

Over this side of the South the evening of the 24th is the Reveillon, and then there is a main meal at midday on the 25th too....

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Methinks Mint, that you should have stated, 'see you Monday'.

And what is wrong with a very very good mince pie ALBF???? Sadly too many people have had awful ones, but I do not bake awful ones!

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine