The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 8 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Shootings at Trèbes (near Carcassonne)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/23/french-police-called-to-trebes-supermarket-amid-hostage-reports-shootings
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Shootings at Trèbes (near Carcassonne)

Happily all over now, bar the shouting, of course.  Sad loss of life, and somewhat too close to home.  Trebes is usually on our route to Carca, but did not stir today, though a friend came this afternoon, who had been in Carca this morning.  Happily they came back the country route, which is also possible, so were not at all affected.

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Yes I go through a couple of times a month on my way to the Ariège, and some flights were cancelled.
It certainly shows how localised our perceptions are, as it brings  things 'home'.

This is the second dreadful loss of life in the vicinity, after the tragedy of the level crossing at Millas, but of course this time there is also the terrorist element.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes I go through a couple of times a month on my way to the Ariège, and some flights were cancelled.
It certainly shows how localised our perceptions are, as it brings  things 'home'.

This is the second dreadful loss of life in the vicinity, after the tragedy of the level crossing at Millas, but of course this time there is also the terrorist element.

In addition today:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/24/he-has-fallen-a-hero-gendarme-who-replaced-hostage-in-french-siege-dies

- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Indeed, sad news this morning, but his brave and heroic (true use of the word) action saved so many others.

One thing I did hear was that the funeral of a young lad who died last week in a motor accident in the next (and closest) village to us was taking place at the crematorium which is on the road between Carca and Trebes at the same time as this incident.  I have no idea whether they made it or not.

Again, it headed the BBC lunchtime news, OK, it is the weekend, but it does show how important this area is to the Brits, there must be many arriving on holiday here soon, if they are not already here.

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Indeed Judith (“heroic - a true use of the word”).

A completely selfless act. I doubt that there’s many of us who would have done what he did yesterday.

Report   Reply Quote

Married his partner a short while before he died too.

Right Guardian, not many would do that.

Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

We (humans...I'm not criticising individuals) are often quick to criticise the police and other emergency services for things, but when there is a crisis, it's so often the case that they put themselves in the firing line - literally. Same thing with PC Keith Palmer in the Westminster attack.
Must be increasingly frightening for the loved ones of these people, to know that they might not come home one day. No tribute or recognition can compensate for that loss.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine