French Food and Wine

Topic has 11 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Brisket

Hi, I wonder if anyone has successfully managed to get a rolled beef brisket joint from a French butcher, and if so, how they went about ordering it? It seems, generally, the French don't eat beef brisket in the way that we do in the UK. The best equivalent description in French that I can muster would be 'Pointe de poitrine de beouf roulée', along with showing a picture of what I'm after. If anyone can put me straight before I make a fool of myself à la boucherie, I'd be most grateful.....
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Brisket

DD, I have a strange feeling that I have seen it all tied up in string and stuffed. Would that be it?
Given your skills, perhaps your could simply buy poitrine de boeuf then roll it, hold in place with metal skewers and tie up? A useful exercise in home cooking!

There are recipes out there such a roulé de poitrine de boeuf which have a heart of minced beef. Try this

https://www.ptitchef.com/recettes/plat/roule-de-boeuf-a-la-poitrine-fumee-au-coeur-fondant-de-fromage-fid-1570312
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Smile [:)]I have just looked up brisket as it is something I have never bought,  but it looked remarkably like a Pot au Feu to me and far too fatty for me.

Not that I buy beef with no fat at all, because I am aware of the flavour that the fat gives, but this is way beyond my taste.

Would not a Pot au Feu do?????

Report   Reply Quote

The tied up one is usually roasted, ksnt it, so you could get rid of much of the fat?
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi Wooly, yes, we used to have brisket at home from time to time when I was a kid. It is rolled into a joint and tied. It is quite fatty to start with, and would be tough if roasted like a normal joint, but if slow pot-roasted, it is both tender and tasty. Most of the fat cooks away during the process, but it helps the meat stay moist.

To be honest, we are sick of trying to buy decent beef for roasting here in France, as most of the (usually very expensive) cuts we have tried are only fit to sole you shoes with. For that reason, brisket would be a good alternative, if we can get a hold of it......
   Report   Reply Quote

I used to slow roast Gite Noix, or get a joint of bavette.

I do slow roast meat in the oven built into my wood burner, I rarely slow roast in my normal oven.

I, as well as all my french friends use a pressure cooker.

I noted with interest that the winner of one of the MasterChef programs that they used a pressure cooker too.

Steaks, well, the only steak I could ever depend on was filet steak.

Report   Reply Quote

Idun, agree with fillet steak, only one to be guaranteed to be not tough, but here they serve it with too much fat.

Brisket was never a favourite, too much fat!

Pressure cookers?  Non.  No taste left at the end!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

My mother used to coook brisket. When it was cold she would thinly slice it and make a sandwich with what in our area we would call a plain teacake. Adding sliced rings of onion pickled in malt vinegar. Very tasty.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine