The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 4 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Clearing the ZAD

ZAD = Zone á Défendre (against development)
Now that the project to build a new airport north of Nantes has been cancelled, it has been necessary to clear out the various groups of squatters, anarchists, antigendarmists, free earthers and others who had occupied the site for some time.
Roads across the area had been blocked with burnt out cars, concrete blocks and felled trees, which made the job more difficult. Many crude buildings, squats, were built and old requisitioned farmhouses occupied.
Thus far, it has been civil war with 2500 gendarmes plus their heavy machines being fought off by groups of well organised rioters/protesters. Squats are destroyed by armoured bulldozers, people chased off but they come back the next day and again challenge the forces of order.
Gas grenades have been used, catapults, molotovs, police have been ambushed, serious injuries on both sides.
Plus a spillover into Nantes where there have been some lively demonstrations with arrests.

Those who had farming projects on the ZAD, including illegal occupiers, have been given the chance to present avalid project which will be considered by the local authorities but. They do have to be legal and belong to various organisations which is what most of them do not want.
Others, the real troublemakers have been chased off for the moment but will be back tonight I suspect, though they will gradually drift off to some other protest site where the whole business will start again.
Many of the longtermers wanted an alternative society, whatever that means, which perhaps might be possible in the wastes of the US, but which France will not tolerate.
Bobo only knows how much it is costing to clear the area and to bring numbers of sad individuals to court. Pity really.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote
Big Smile [:D]

Re: Clearing the ZAD

"Gas grenades have been used, catapults, molotovs, police have been ambushed, serious injuries on both sides.
Plus a spillover into Nantes where there have been some lively demonstrations with arrests."

For goodness sake - don't tell Trump!
My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

Ah, Dickdick, you does make I larf sumtymes😅
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Cost so far;

Selon la radio du service public France Inter, la tentative d’évacuation forcée de la «Zone à défendre» (ZAD) à Notre-Dame-Des-Landes, est la plus importante opération de maintien de l’ordre en France métropolitaine depuis mai 1968. Depuis le début de l'opération le 9 avril dernier, elle aurait déjà coûté près de 3 millions d’euros, soit 300 000 euros par jour.

Money well spent ;)
   Report   Reply Quote

I had thought that the Zadists were just being deliberately confrontational, but on today's news it felt like they were being sensible, unless I have completely misunderstood.

They have been told to send in a plan/project as individuals to end up with a small holding by the 23rd of April.

Those I saw said that they wanted to put in their plans ingroups which I imagine would work like a cooperative and with more land would surely be more productive.....and maybe end up with better agricultural aid too.

The government are not interested in such things, but that is what the people who will be doing the very hard job of farming want....and it sounds reasonable to me.

What the government has said is that they will remove everyone there, if they don't do as they are told by the 23rd.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine