French Language

Topic has 22 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Cool French Phrases and use of language !!!

When moving to France you have to blend in and look cool and not look like an idiot British type person.

So you have to learn cool French. That is the point about learning the language, it is about saying the stuff that people say everyday.

I will start this off. This is one of my favourites.

'Mes potes' = my mates.

Cool phrase !!!

Feel free to join in !!!

Come back BETTY !!!
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Cool French Phrases and use of language !!!

Elle conduit comme une vache espagnole

I was delighted to overhear this entertaining adaptation the other day and thought at the time that it was worthy of a wider currency.

"M. Jérôme démasqua ses batteries: il resterait au lit."

Report   Reply Quote

Costeau (no idea if that its correct spelling as never seen it spelt) is argot for strong.  I used fort the other day and a nice French lady in the market queue agreed, but used costeau, and said it was an argot word.  All done in French of course, though she knew I wasn't French (they always seem to know, even though they all say as well that I speak good French!)  So used to those who don't try, perhaps!!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Yep, nice one - costaud. Can be a person or a thing that is sturdy and well-made
   Report   Reply Quote

“Nickel” and “Impecc” - for something that is good.

Our Belgian neighbours use “Chouette” for the same thing.

Report   Reply Quote

"Nickel” and “Impecc”.....is a really good one.

Especially if you had had artisans around to do work. They will invariably ask you if you like their work.

Saying "Nickel” and “Impecc” is the perfect answer. Two words that say so much.

No long sentences, no complicated grammar.

Nickel” and “Impecc". If you can do the fingers and kiss thing at the same time.....its a thousand words!!!
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

cochonnerie , nom féminin
   Report   Reply Quote

I was just p***ing by ze door, as they say in 'allo ' allo, indulging in a spot of schaudenfreude, so off the top of my head, frangin and frangine are often more used than frère and soeur: among my friends anyway. And I love "la trouille" which is much more expressive than "la peur"

You have no idea how my spellcheck suffered for me to write that.

in my neck of the woods, and AFAIK only in my neck of the woods, people who go off to work "embauche" and when they leave work they "débauche". Every day, and at lunchtime.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine