Driving in France

Topic has 36 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Mobile home park address ok to register vehicle?

I'm Australian and considering buying a holiday home in France to use approximately 6 months per year. To find a suitable area and house I thought buying a campervan might be a good idea. The problem with that is registering it without an address.

I did find one company in France that know of a method, but it requires at least two people (no good for me as I'm single). There's also a company in The Netherlands that have a method.

One way I thought might be a low cost method is buying a mobile home on a permanent site in a park. Question is would that work as an address for registration purposes? Also could I do it not being a permanent resident?
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Mobile home park address ok to register vehicle?

As far as I know, a foreigner can register a car in their name in France if they own a property here, so buying a mobile home is one, if rather expensive solution, although there are probably quite cheap units for sale in less desirable areas.

EDIT: A further problem is the high cost of taxes on buying and selling property in France, about 10%, more on cheap properties. Check this with a Notaire, or on line if you understand French.

Another possibility is to buy a (preferably LHD) camper in the UK, where registration problems are not so difficult.

If you were to do this, you should advise the authorities of its export, to avoid liability to UK road tax while it is out of the country, by completing and mailing the tear-off slip on the licence document (V5C). Customs on return to UK can inform you on how to reinstate the UK registration.

There are various companies offering full insurance cover on the Continent for longer than the usual 30 days, but some of these require the driver to have a UK driving licence. Googling "european insurance for uk car" will provide more information on this.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

If the camper van and the mobile home are both temporary and purely for the purposes of doing your research before buying, and if your French is OK (the websites may have English language versions, I haven't checked), have you considered
Wikicampers or Yescapa (there may be even more). They're like a sort of air BnB for camper vans, where private individuals offer their camper van/motor home for short term rental to other private individuals.
Might save you the cost of buying/insuring your own van, and the probably even larger cost of potentially having to buy a mobile home just to register the camper...
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

You can call me Betty or Queenie if you prefer wrote:
If the camper van and the mobile home are both temporary and purely for the purposes of doing your research before buying, and if your French is OK (the websites may have English language versions, I haven't checked), have you considered Wikicampers or Yescapa (there may be even more). They're like a sort of air BnB for camper vans, where private individuals offer their camper van/motor home for short term rental to other private individuals. Might save you the cost of buying/insuring your own van, and the probably even larger cost of potentially having to buy a mobile home just to register the camper...

An excellent suggestion, of which the OP should take note.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, the wikicampers suggestion is good (depending on cost and availability). Combined with some AirBNB could work.

Just had a quick look on Yescape. Minimum cost for 3 months over summer is about €6000 for something you'd be willing to use for that long (not ancient or tiny). That's not ridiculous for a one off holiday, but not something I'd want annually.

I had seen an ok looking mobile home in a park for €6000 (plus fees) and €2300 annual site fees (pretty high, but includes all electricity etc). Gives a home base and off season storage too. Though there would be campervan storage fees on top of that, though if I got a mobile home I'd probably just get a car instead.

My French is rubbish so far, but Google Chrome translates reasonably well.
   Report   Reply Quote

"Just had a quick look on Yescape. Minimum cost for 3 months over summer is about €6000 for something you'd be willing to use for that long (not ancient or tiny). That's not ridiculous for a one off holiday, but not something I'd want annually.

I had seen an ok looking mobile home in a park for €6000 (plus fees) and €2300 annual site fees (pretty high, but includes all electricity etc). Gives a home base and off season storage too. Though there would be campervan storage fees on top of that, though if I got a mobile home I'd probably just get a car "
instead."

Guess it all depends on how many years/visits etc. you reckon it will take to find a more permanent holiday home. And if you're happy to risk buying even a mobile home on a park in an area (I assume) you don't know, which might give you storage etc., but also might turn out to be hundreds of miles from where you eventually decide you'd prefer to buy. You're saying the cost of hire isn't something you'd want annually as if you think it's going to take you several years of visits to find a place.

You've moved the goalposts a bit from your original post, where you were going to buy a mobile home so you had an address to register the camper van so you could tour around. If you're now thinking of buying a mobile home and downgrading to just a car, presumably you've now decided to confine your search to an area local to the mobile home, or you've thought about factoring in the additional accommodation costs you'll incur if you're travelling around in a car instead of the camper van?

Lots of options, lots of sums to do.

Good luck with whichever option you choose.

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, certainly not decided how best to do it. All the harder because France wont simply allow foreigners to register a vehicle. It's quite an odd policy given that they seem fine with us buying property.

I was also considering that the motorhome/camper option may be a good enough alternative to a house that's why I considered the multi year option, but also it may take a while to look around and decide where to finally buy.

Still not sure if buying the mobile home in the park would work given that I wouldn't be a permanent resident in it.

Also the reason I thought a car would go with mobile home is you can Airbnb or house sit using a car to explore other regions and a car is cheaper than a camper.

I just really needed answers to my initial questions so I could ponder my options. Ta. :-)
   Report   Reply Quote

I don't wish to be throwing a spanner in the works, but have you established with the appropriate authorities how long you can stay in France?

Our Australian neighbours come every year for 3 months and tell me that they cannot stay longer because of visa rules or some such.  Sorry, I have not paid too much attention as I have not wanted to be drawn into all their comings and goings and frustrations of being holiday home owners.

OTOH, I have met another another Australian who has a French partner and they stay for 6 months.  They have mentioned that some special arrangement is possible.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine