French Language

Topic has 6 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

help with translation

"Cette belle pomme est à l'origine de 'Golden delicious', 'Cox's Orange  Pippin', 'Red delicious'..."
I found this article about the McIntosh Red apple:
https://www.rustica.fr/blog-redaction/pomme-mcintoch,13489.html
And wondered what the above sentence means.
I remember these apples from childhood, but haven't seen them recently. Until last week, I found some in a local market.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: help with translation

The apples you mention have been grown from (presumably) McIntosh Red Apple.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

I'm pretty sure it will be referring to the fact that the McIntosh has been 'bred' from a cross of 'Golden Delicious', 'Cox's Orange pippin' and 'Red Delicious'
   Report   Reply Quote

Other way round.

The text clearly says that it is the’mother’ of numerous cultivars.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

According to information I have seen and heard in the past, for which I cannot supply any confirmation, as this was before the internet, new apple varieties appear randomly in Nature, and are subsequently propagated by grafting.

The McIntosh Red seems to have appeared in Canada at around the same time as the Cox did in England, in the early 19C.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Please excuse a bit of a diversion, patient peopleSmile [:)]

nomoss, I see you are now doing "posh" links and I am most envious.  You showed me how to do the ones that I always use and I remember your instructions.  However, I wouldn't mind if you'd show me how to do these fancy ones.  I know cajal explained how to do them but I can understand you better than I can himSmile [:)]  Sorry, cajal...

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

If you click on "Quote" below my post, you will see the code.

To get the word(s) representing the link in blue, highlight them, then select "Blue" from the "Color" drop-down list.

Edit. Sorry, I put "Reply" instead of "Quote" on my first attemptBlush [:$]

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine