French Language

Topic has 8 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

new year, new word!

My first offering for 2019 is la glottophobie.

Roughly translated as la discrimination linguistique, this word will provide you with a ready-made repartee should anyone make fun of your French accentStick out tongue [:P]

Sovereignty: the right to eat cholorinated chicken.
from The Little Book of Brexit Bo ll oc ks
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: new year, new word!

Thank you mint ...... I had to look it up.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glottophobie
Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

Wow, Eric, that is the most thorough explanation that anyone could have wished for and I hadn't realise that there were so many implications to la glottophobie!

But I did see Mélenchon, around the time of the general election, taking questions from journalists and pretending to not understand a question from a woman with a SW accent and then, to compound his error, asking for a question from someone who spoke French!

He was roundly condemned in the press for it but I guess he is just as arrogant as any other politician?

I myself have to be very careful how I pronounce words with "en" (as in mentir!) because around these parts, many people say it differently to the regular accent parisienSmile [:)]

Report   Reply Quote

Father Xmas put a great little book into my stocking this year, called a Shakespeare Insult Generator, based on the language of his plays and allowing a pick and mix approach.
I promise not to use these on any of our sensitive members, but here is an example which made I chuckle: musty puppy-headed ratsbane.
I wonder whether any of our in depth French speakers could translate this, Norman, perhaps?
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

'glottophobie' good word, Mint. It should pass  into the english language too.
My favourites are 'bobologies', and cochonneries (which I think I've mentioned before.)
As for accents, 'pain' is pronounced 'ping' in the deep SW. And they always sound the final 'e' in a word as a sort of 'uh'. Plus a gutteral rolling 'r'.
I wonder where that comes from? Not the Geordies.

Report   Reply Quote

Pat, because I have only ever lived in the SW, I do tend to do that "e" sound at the end of words.  I know exactly what you mean and well you just pick it up, don't you?Woot! [:-))]

We call la bobologie les bobos!

Report   Reply Quote

There is an online Shakespearien insult generator that might tickle your fancy Wooly, how about "Thou beslubbering dread-bolted odiferous stench!" ?

Find it here
http://www.literarygenius.info/a3-shakespeare-insult-generator.htm

Try as I might, I can't make my links clickable though.
   Report   Reply Quote

Thank you, betise, I shall explore that and doubtless make use of it on occasion😜
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine