Driving in France

Topic has 30 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Cancelling Car Insurance.

Well it's been a while since I posted but as my French gets better I am able to find out most things from French sites.  However, I have a problem and I hope someone knows the solution.

Back in July 2018 I told my car insurance agent we were replacing our car and had bought the replacement BEFORE selling the current car and could they insure the replacement.  What they did was to cancel the old car and put the new car on the policy.  This meant I wasdriving the old car WITHOUT insurance for 3 months until I dicovered the problem.

The insurance agent started a new policy for the old car, the old car has now died (cylinder head failure) and the agent is refusing to cancel the policy unless I provide a certificate of sale or destruction.  I want to keep the old car and break it for parts myseld as the replacement/new car is the same type.

Does anyone know if it's even possible to simply cancel when the car 'dies'?  The agent says that as the policy is less than 1 year old, (despite them removing the old car and replaceing it with the new one without my permission, I can not cancel until 2 months before the 1 year anniversary.

Any suggestions greatfully received.

Remember it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.
You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Cancelling Car Insurance.

The easiest thing is to sell it to a friend, cancel the insurance using the Certificate de Cessation as proof that you have sold it. What happens after that is anyone’s guess.
   Report   Reply Quote

Not quite as simple with ANTS though is it. You used to be able to fill in a certificat de cession, give a copy to the insurers and then bin your copy. Now you have to put the change of ownership through ANTS to get the paperwork, and then the friend is stuck with the car registered in his name, you can't "lose" cars down the gap in the change of ownership process any more.
   Report   Reply Quote

Could you declare the car scrapped or get it scrapped and then simply keep it for spares?
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Casse autos give you a certificate of destruction, and if you tell the insurers it is scrapped they'll want a copy of this certificate for their files before they'll cancel.
A casse shouldn't give you a certificate of destruction if they're not disposing of it. These days it's all about ensuring that vehicles are disposed of in an environmetally friendly way and not left sitting around in gardens and fields leaching metal and pollution into nature. I'm sure the OP wouldn't do that, but that's why there is legislation in place to prevent it happening. The French casses that I've had the misfortune of dealing with are a whole different breed from the old scrapyards I used to love poking around in my youth, these days they're very particular about their paperwork. I suspect they must get checked regularly.
   Report   Reply Quote

tasng4 wrote : Back in July 2018 I told my car insurance agent we were replacing our car and had bought the replacement BEFORE selling the current car and could they insure the replacement. What they did was to cancel the old car and put the new car on the policy. This meant I was driving the old car WITHOUT insurance for 3 months until I discovered the problem.

Whilst I cannot offer any enlightenment on to your disposal question .. other than to agree with what has been said .. I must say that your agent has acted in a most unhelpful way and I would recommend changing to another.
OH and I have both changed our cars fairly recently.
Each time our insurers have given us a cost-free month whilst we owned 2 cars each whilst purchase paperwork etc was being sorted out.
My purchase needed garage work so I extended the 'free' month by buying 2 extra months (very cheaply) until the car was drivable, then I disposed of the first car.
As ET said car disposal is highly formulated today .. everyone has to have a signed copy of the right piece of paper.
Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

We thought about doing that but since the ANTS system began this, as the next person says, would mean my friend would be stuck with it.

Remember it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.
You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
   Report   Reply Quote

To declare it as scrapped I need a certificate from a scrapper, one can't simply declare it as scrapped.  I wrote to the insurer saying "on my honour I declare the car to be beyond use"...they didn't accept this.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine