French Language

Topic has 11 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Has your French affected the way you speak English ?

I noticed some time ago that I was using ‘one’ as a pronoun more often than I used to. This morning I used pharmacy where I would previously have said chemists. Do you do this ? I’m wondering if there are more words that I’ve changed without noticing.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Has your French affected the way you speak English ?

No, I'm certain it hasn't. Teaching English as a foreign language has made sure of it.
On the other hand, years and years ago, working for a French boss played havoc with my English, as he'd use franglais words with such total conviction that on occasion I'd start to question my own belief, and even reach for the dictionary to check!
Plus, certain affectation really grate with me. Like calling a tradesperson an artisan.

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, I tend to mix languages as I dont have or have forgotten the English for some day to day words.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

I think I sometimes use the french word order in english.
And now and again use french instead of english eg excusez moi , ou sont les oeufs? Blank face from the Tesco lady.

Report   Reply Quote

It causes hesitations in my English as sometimes the French word or phrase springs into my mind first.
Just occasionally I use a French word as if it were an English one when in fact that word doesn't exist, or isn't used like that in English.

I think WB picked me up on that  in a post here not long ago...

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Norman, even in my worst nightmare I would never pick you up!😜
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

All the time, Hoddy, moreso as the years pass!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

NormanH wrote : Just occasionally I use a French word as if it were an English one when in fact that word doesn't exist, or isn't used like that in English.

Exactly so .. my dear OH, who has struggled with learning French since we arrived here in 2005, now often uses 'rest' when he means stay when he speaks English.
Example of a dialogue about us agreeing where to meet up in a fairly large town :
Him : I will rest there (place X) until you ring me to say where you find yourself.
Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine