Driving in France

Topic has 1 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Changing name on carte grise

We weren't aware when we got our car into the French system that we could put it in both names. I went onto the ANTS site recently and it seems that giving to car to me (as my husband could no longer drive) was just like selling it to a stranger. I was asked for a password I don't have, I requested a new one which never came.
I found that a garage can do the application and it's often quicker that way.
I can't believe the cost! I think it was 270 euros, plus a new CT as ours was over 6 months ago (8!), The garage charge 28 which isn't bad.
Sadly my husband died before I sorted this, so it will have to be dealt with by a notaire, more complicated probably. A French friend said just pretend my husband signed the Carte Grise and carry on with the application.
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Changing name on carte grise

The only way that a spouse may be added for a lower charge is for a vehicle owned by one partner before marriage.

This then costs only 2.50 €.

A valid CT (not one less than 6 months old, as for a normal transfer) is required if the car is over 4 years old.

Details here

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine