French Language

Topic has 19 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

The answer to an age-old question?

So, it may not be a particularly scientific method, but I'm sure it will be interesting. If you haven't watched any of the series, BBC2's "The Twinstitute" tonight looks at language learning.
The premise behind the series has been to try out different ways of doing things on sets of identical twins, to see if one thing is better/more successful than another as a way to lose weight/keep fit/maintain brainpower/prevent mozzie bites.....
Tonight the identical twins will test different ways of language learning, with one half of a set of twins having one to one tuition whilst the other tries self-teaching using apps.
8.30 pm BBC2, or 9.30 in France.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: The answer to an age-old question?

I hope it becomes available on another platform since I can't access BBC.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Banned by the BBC as well, Norman. Better behave ypurself here as it is the only place which puts up with you!🤪
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

I ask because I'm unsure, Norman, but don't a fair number of BBC programmes eventually end up on YouTube these days?
   Report   Reply Quote

We haven't got tv now . We can get some things on the 'puter.
There's another method - complete submersion ie sink or swim.
eg time spent in hospital in France -  my spoken french improved in leaps and bounds.

Report   Reply Quote

Saw bits of the first programme, but not watched since .. found it all a bit too slow for me.  being a multiple, though not, we think, identical, I thought it might be interesting, but didn't find it  particularly so.  As for language learning, I'm more of the approach that we all learn differently, even twins etc, (the etc being multiples), and it's finding the approach that suits you is better than applying "twin" rules.

I do remember that at one time one of my sisters and I got the same score in an exam (the in-built ones rather than the statutory ones).  The class all laughed, and jeered, until the teacher said, yes, but they did not get it it in the same way ...  so pure luck we got the same points.  I think it was in English rather than French though.

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Well, superficial though it was, the results were quite interesting overall. The "half" of the two sets of twins who had a tutor scored an average of 161/200 and the other half who learned online an average of 131, in an exam to test their language learning after 30 hours. This was a test based on the Common European Framework, so both sets achieved level A1. It was made clear that both sets of twins had studied quite assiduously to achieve these results, though. I've always made the point that language learning does rely very heavily on the commitment and effort of the person learning. They learned Swedish, by the way, obviously to remove any bias from previous learning at school.
The most interesting part of the experiment was that before and after the language learning the twins took tests to determine their levels of cognitive function. After the language learning, they all more or less doubled their score in the cognitive function test, which would confirm that learning another language is remarkably good for one's brain health.
   Report   Reply Quote

As you say, "for brain health", it's good to learn another language, and that's always been known.  Now for my particular plug and that's learning to play a musical instrumentSmile [:)]

For children, it's great for them to play in an orchestra, nothing like it to learn discipline in an enjoyable way.

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine