French Food and Wine

Topic has 23 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Gratin Dauphinois

I wonder what idun makes of this recipe?
I remember it used to be your signature dish:
https://www.750g.com/le-vrai-gratin-dauphinois-r204966.htm
As well as your pastry.
There are many other versions on there.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Gratin Dauphinois

Ooooo, haven't made gratin dauphinois for years!! Why not? It's sooooo delicious.
Thanks for the reminder, Patf

Report   Reply Quote

Idun's pastry -
I've been around so long that it's in my folder as "Teamedups pastry"
Whatever we call it - it's wonderful.
   Report   Reply Quote

Double post
   Report   Reply Quote

Well I was taught to use all creme liquide and that is what I do in France. Still the simplicity of this recipe pleases me, and I daresay that there are dauphinois(e) who would use so much milk, what with being canny with their money and milk certainly makes it a cheaper version. So my only ' problem with this recipe, is it not being all cream

It is a dish that should always be a 'treat' what with all the calories in it, so why not use what a very good dauphinois chef taught me, all creme liquide. It truly is delicious.

I must add a footnote. Now living in England, and with a tendency to usually buy double cream, I have to add some milk to it to get a 'creme liquide', or get my old brain into gear and buy single cream or whipping cream. If I use all double cream it tends to get too onctueux, tastes good, but not quite the consistency I look for.

And a second foot note about cream.

The first time I bought creme fraiche from a cremerie, so many years ago, I served it and declared it was 'off'. Husband said it was fine, so did guests but it was not 'fresh cream'. And for me, was 'off'.

My husband loves creme fraiche, and I still buy it for him.

When Prince Harry married there was a recipe for elderflower and lemon cake doing the rounds and the one I tried had sour cream in it. I tasted the sour cream and compared it to some crème fraiche I had in. Blowed if I can tell the difference. I know how creme fraiche is 'made' but I still wonder why? As it would be easier to just 'sour' cream.😁
   Report   Reply Quote

I could never work out the creams in France. Especially when I was trying to make a baked cheese cake. My recipes were for british creams and cream cheeses, and somehow the french ones were different.
I had a few 'flops', eg once when I added the eggsto the french equivalent of thick double cream  it all dissolved into a runny mess.I gave up in the end.
French creme freche is good for savoury sauces, or with pasta.

Report   Reply Quote

Took me years to get to grips with french creams, but when I found this board I had been in France for just about 20 years so I had worked it all out.

I never found double cream in France and the only cream I could use for my UK recipes was Elle et Vire creme liquide, which had been well refridgerated and then use creme fixe with it, but not too much of that, AND I had to buy an electric mixer which I had never wanted or needed prior to my french move.

These days, i often cannot be bothered with the electric mixer and whip cream with a hand whisk.

Cannot say I never use creme fraiche, I have a couple of recipes where it works well, but as a cream that stands alone.......... beurk......... still tastes 'off' to me.

Report   Reply Quote

For us, a Gratin Dauphinois must only be made with Double Cream. In France, we tend to use those pouches of creme "Elle & Vire" which work ok but need to buy at least 5 to make the volume.
Also, plenty black pepper on the top.
Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine