Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 15 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Fuel central heating or gaz de ville?

Hi,
Having had houses using log burners and/or electricity for heating for the most part in France, I wondered if anybody has used gaz de ville and has a rough idea of costs as against fuel. We had fuel central heating once and found it to be expensive, would gas be cheaper? Just an estimate would be ideal, as i understand the costs will vary as to usage. I thought I would ask our experts here before trawling through the French sites.
Many thanks for any information that anyone can provide.
Tony
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Fuel central heating or gaz de ville?

A trawl of the French sites is quicker https://selectra.info/energie/guides/comparatifs/electricite-gaz-bois-fioul-propane

https://www.fournisseurs-electricite.com/guides/equipements/fin-chaudiere-fioul/choisir-fioul-ou-gaz

The French government are planning to get rid of oil heating boilers in ten years https://www.lemondedelenergie.com/gouvernement-fioul/2018/11/30/
   Report   Reply Quote

Many thanks, I shall have a look at those sites.
Cheers,
Tony
   Report   Reply Quote

We heated with a log burner for about the first 15 years that we owned our french home, our appartment prior to that had a storage heater, which was actually very good.

And then they put gas lines into our village and the first lot, finished about 10 metres from our house, so I asked if we could have it, and was told if at least one neighbour wanted it too, we could. So we and the neighbour took it.

For us, it was more economical than buying wood, as where we lived it was always expensive, we used 7.5 tonnes every year ( remember that was only from Oct/Nov to April) and often it was getting on for £90 a tonne, and even buying in bulk was not that much cheaper.

I have friends in France, who now have granule burners and find them economical.

I have recently renewed my gas/electricity contract in England and have compared prices and gaz is a lot more expensive in France for the time being. We use about 12000kwh of gas per year, and would probably have used more in France as it would have been a lot colder where we lived. Plus ofcourse the abonnement is a lot dearer in France too.

If you decide on gaz de ville, then get a good boiler, that is as economic as it can be.

Report   Reply Quote

Many thanks indeed Idun.

Cheers

Tony
   Report   Reply Quote

A few more thoughts, the disparity between regions of France and wood prices. When I first came on here, and we had already had our gas heating for several years, and I was amazed to hear the price people were paying for wood from other regions was about half the prices we were paying in my part of the Alpes. As friends were still using wood burners.

Never worth trying to burn other than very dry, well seasoned wood, it does not heat. Also soft woods can clog up chimneys, cause fires with their sap.

Still gaz de ville is a mighty investment too. All the radiators or underfloor or whatever you want. And a good boiler. We bought a Weismann boiler in the UK two years ago and our bills just about halved from the old, boiler. I daresay most modern boilers are quite economic, but really really worth looking into performance.

Report   Reply Quote

Thank you Idun,

We're currently in the southern part of the Haute-Vienne and wood is fairly cheap and readily available, we use electric radiators when it's not worth lighting a fire, but they are not so cheap to run.

Looking to move again soon, so looking at various properties, one of which has gaz de ville for everything, and another which is wood burners and electricity. The latter we can easily estimate the running costs, hence my question about gaz de ville.

Of course convenience can become a factor which has to be weighed up against overall running costs and of course installation/maintenance.

Could be the wood burner route again methinks.

Thanks again for your informative post.

Cheers,

Tony
   Report   Reply Quote

Air source heat pumps are a lot less costly to run than electric radiators, they also warm the room quicker as they have fan units instead of just radiated heat.
Best to also suppliment with a wood burner/pellet burner but by far the best thing is insulation!
Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine