Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 24 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

URGENT, URGENT Advise needed please

Yesterday four of us, sellers [us] and buyers[them] signed the Compromis de Vente, in front of the Notaire for obviously a fixed sum.
Today we hear they have been down to the Agency Immobilier and asked for a reduction in price.
Question : having signed for a fixed price, is this in fact legal? Can they do this? We are inclined to refuse [my OH says they are "just trying it on", with which I agree. Agency calling us back at 18.00 for an answer.
If anyone knows our legal status, please please advise. We want to pull out, but cannot under the law as sellers. MERCI BEAUCOUP!

Sheila
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: URGENT, URGENT Advise needed please

According to https://www.proprioo.fr/duree-d-un-compromis there is a ten day cooling off period during which the buyer can withdraw - no mention of the seller.
L'interruption de la validité du compromis de vente
Outre les délais prévus à la signature du contrat, certains évènements peuvent mettre un terme au compromis de vente avant son terme.

C'est le cas de la rétractation : après avoir signé un compromis de vente, l'acquéreur dispose d'un délai légal et incompressible de 10 jours, pendant lesquels il peut revenir sur ses engagements. Notifiée par courrier recommandé, la rétractation annule le compromis de vente sans réparations pour le vendeur.

Il en va de même si une des clauses suspensives ne se réalise pas. Dans ce cas, le compromis de vente est annulé et l'éventuel dépôt de garanti est restitué à l'acquéreur sans pénalité ni frais d'aucune sorte.
   Report   Reply Quote

I thought the buyer has 7 days to consider before confirming? Are you sure it was the Compromis and not the Acte?
Otherwise , if you really want to sell, make a counter offer, between the 2 prices.
Crossed posts with pomme - 10 days not 7.
There's also the matter of the deposit - has it been paid?

Report   Reply Quote

As the buyers have a 10 day cooling off period they can withdraw from the purchase any time within that period. You, on the other hand, have to go ahead provided that it's for the price shown on the compromis. In my mind, if they now offer less, you cannot be obliged to accept that. However if they see that you might pull out with the lower price and really want the house and pay the agreed price you would have to go ahead with the sale. Layman's view I'm afraid.

Report   Reply Quote

Compromis comes a while before the Acte. Acte is the very final document when the property changes hands.

Report   Reply Quote

This is really helpful folks - thanks a million.
Will try to remember to post what happens.
Bit fraught here, as yaw'll can well imagine!

Sheila
   Report   Reply Quote

Well, well, what a nasty bit of blackmail from the buyers. Never heard of it before.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

woolybanana wrote:
Well, well, what a nasty bit of blackmail from the buyers. Never heard of it before.

Isn't it common practice in the UK?

The buyer tried it with us when we sold up in England. The agent 'phoned me while we were sailing down to Spain, asking for a substantial reduction.

Caught me at a bad time, and I replied to just cancel the sale if not at the agreed price.

Sale went ahead with no further argument, but I wished I had put the price up when I had the chanceWink [;-)]

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine