The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 59 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

I dont suppose you've noticed

And if you live here and have healthcare and a mutuelle, I don't suppose you care, but today I was robbed, and you're paying for it, whether you notice or not.
After an exhaustive search of local supermarkets, and after not realising that the industrial-sized tub I'd left here was empty, I was forced to conclude that Vaseline is a controlled substance in France. As an aside, the average French baby seems to have a choice of more skincare products than I've used in my lifetime. But I digress.

My normal purchases of petroleum jelly take place in Poundland, where I can buy a mega-tub for a price you might be able to guess. But, as I said, I forgot to bring more. So today, in dire need and desperation, I made a trip to the local pharmacie. Where it was not on display. So when a helpful member of staff asked if she could help me, I asked. Yes, they had some. She hurried off into the depths of the dispensary, emerging with two small, boxed tubes of the generic product. I said I'd take the larger one. 100ml. €5.60. That's not an exchange rate issue, that's an issue of grand theft.
Clearly, it's kept in the dispensary because it's prescribed. Meaning the government and the insurance companies are reimbursing you and yours for ridiculously overpriced stuff that has no business being hidden in the dispensary and even less business being sold as if it were a class A drug.

Someone is paying for the suppliers to receive these grossly inflated prices for generic, over-the-counter products. If your mutuelle keeps going up and up, here's one contributing factor. Poundland can do it...why can't France?
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: I dont suppose you've noticed

Hmmm, yes, nothing surprising here, Betty, but if you got sore spots try Sudocrem.
Pharmacies in France are a terrible rip off.
For other other products better go by PM, I know a few!
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

I know this wouldn't have helped you as you needed it pronto and I have no idea if it's a prescription only substance or not, but I order Vaseline (in the 250 ml tub with the blue plastic lid) for about 3 euros from Amazon France.

But I do agree that you need to keep away from pharmacies unless it's for an ordonnance.  Nowadays there are more and more on-line pharmacies which are generally cheaper but cost of delivery could push prices up or you might have to buy industrial quantities to qualify for free delivery.  I use one where, about 4 or 5 times a year, they give you free delivery with no minimum purchase.  So I stock up on my fav products and wait and order at only those times of no charge for delivery.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Great Bobo in a bucket, ladies, just how much vaseline do you use?🙀
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Wooly I get through lots...I won't drag you into my personal hell by explaining what for.

Yes, Amazon is a good shout, and indeed friends have since told me that Action sell it for 99 cents...only the nearest branch is 50 miles away so not a viable option. Mr Betty is off to the UK soon and will return later so I'll get him to bring a vat of the stuff when he returns.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Never thought you had been a wrestler, Betty. Terrible when you stop trainng, isnt it?
🤪
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

We used to use Vaseline on the bedroom doorknob, to keep the kids out.

Nowadays I only use it for assembling brake components, and am still using a large tin I bought for this purpose in Spain many years ago.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

"Nowadays I only use it for assembling brake components, and am still using a large tin I bought for this purpose in Spain many years ago."

Instead of copper ease/grease?

Don't suppose it works the other way round!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine