The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 3 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Violence in the country

Some of you, particularly in rural areas may have noticed that the constituency offices of your local deputé have been trashed or worse. The targets were members of the ruling party who had voted in favour of a traité de Libre Echange

The cause is, yet again, angry farmers who are worried about the implications of the recently signed and ratified free trade agreement (CETA) with Canada.

They are particularly worried that the beef market will be taken over by cheap Canadian product which will put their livelihoods at risk, breaking the so called family model of French farming.

Yesterday in a demonstration in Perpignan a small number of demonstrators wearing gilets jaune were arrested for breaking away from the demo and getting jerrycans full of petrol, ostensibly to burn a constituency office or two.

T’was ever thus I fear. Pity the gilets jaunes are deteriorating into violence though as they did have a valid case.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Violence in the country

It seems that the main offices of the ruling political party based in Paris have also been vandalised with anti CATA slogans and anti-police slogans.
The latter relates to the death of a young man in the Loire at Nantes during a late night music open air music event. The allegation seems to be that he and others were done over by the police in the early hours of the morning and the guy chucked into the river. His body has only just been discovered after six weeks.
The allegation is that the actions of the police have been whitewashed though the enquiry is ongoing, now managed by the prime minister.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

"now managed by the prime minister."

Now that gives re-assurance.

I suppose that french family farmers must protect their lucrative businesses.

My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

The latest move by the climate change demonstrators is to take and keep the fotos of Emmanuelle Macron from local mairies, storing them safely!
Seems odd!
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine