The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 22 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

The use of NON in French.....

and how to circumvent it. Most interesting and fun, even for Richard though I suspect he will be seriously confused!

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20190804-why-the-french-love-to-say-no

Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: The use of NON in French.....

Wools, your link had me smiling and nodding in agreement because, only a couple of weeks ago, I had a real-life demonstration of this use of nonSmile [:)]

I was in the local x ray place trying to book a RV.  Admittedly, my request was not straightforward as I needed it within a couple of working days and I wanted a specified radiologist.

As in the article, the réceptioniste said Non, pas possible, almost before I could finish my question.

After a pause, I asked, can you then please suggest an X ray place near here where I could go?  Just as in the article, this was clearly not a question that could be answered with a yes or no!  She ostentatiously and noisily riffled through some pages on the appointment book and then said, can you come on Monday morning?

Given that it was already Thursday, I considered that to be quite a satisfactory outcomeBig Smile [:D] 

Sovereignty: the right to eat cholorinated chicken.
from The Little Book of Brexit Bo ll oc ks
   Report   Reply Quote

Good question Wooly.
Following Mint's excellent example, my experience is that often when you ask a french person a question their first reaction is "...sais pas".
It might be because their education is linked to a right answer, or a wrong answer. They're afraid to get it wrong.
A correct answer is a good/bon reponse.  A wrong answer is a bad/mal reponse. The question becomes one of morality.
I don't think there are french words for correct or incorrect.

Report   Reply Quote

Love it, mint!
Great article, too.
   Report   Reply Quote

What I usually do is start by saying, I have a little problem ... and get them sort of on my side ... it seems to work ...

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!
   Report   Reply Quote

J'ai un petit souci .. works wonders for me 😊

Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

Me too, the response is generally favourable - apart from if there’s a real dragon on duty.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Someone told me to say " Priez-vous m'aider......" before a question-especially to those behind a desk. It implies you're desperate and throwing yourself on their mercy. Seems to work for me anyway 😁
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine