The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 15 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

unlikely to interest anybody but.....

some things cry out to be postedBig Smile [:D]

PLUS, I have only very recently become a convert!

Sovereignty: the right to eat cholorinated chicken.
from The Little Book of Brexit Bo ll oc ks
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: unlikely to interest anybody but.....

Oh, but it does, mint - I can’t wait! I know that I will be out with family for part of the BH weekend, but I’m hoping to record what I miss. I’ll buy it if I can’t - , actually I’ll probably buy it anyway.

It sounds a total delight and with such a cast list:

Marcel Proust’s In Search Of Lost Time

Saturday 24, Sunday 25, Monday 26 August 2019
Times vary

Derek Jacobi… Marcel (narrator)
Simon Russell Beale… Baron De Charlus
Hattie Morahan… Albertine
Kyle Soller… Robert De Saint Loup
Robert Glenister… Duc De Guermantes
Fenella Woolgar… Duchess De Guermantes
Frances Barber… Madame Verdurin
Emma Mackey… Gilberte
Paterson Joseph... Charles Swann
Oliver Cotton... Father
Sylvestra le Touzel… Mother
Nicholas Gleaves… Forcheville
Translated and adapted by Timberlake Wertenbaker

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

As if my appetite needs sharpening further..................Big Smile [:D]  Thanks for the cast list; I can't wait either!

GG, if you don't know this book already, you absolutely MUST read it:  How Proust can Change Your Life by Alain de Botton.

Every page, actually every paragraph , is a delight and full of insights.  You can imagine I am sure the heady combination of Alain de Botton and Proust?Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

GG, I have found you a different perspective on the book.  This one is American so perhaps all the more remarkable?

Meanwhile, to my chagrin, I have looked for half an hour but can't find my own copy......gggrr.....gggrrr.....gggrrr

Whatever Proust might have thought, life is sooooo frustrating sometimes....!Devil [6]

Report   Reply Quote

GG, were you able to catch the double bill this afternoon, of episodes 1 and 2?

A truly wonderful production by the BBC.  The moment I heard the opening chords of the Saint Saens, I was transported ..... ! Genius to use le cygne to start off the series, especially as Proust was a great admirer of Saint Saens and his character was, of course, Charles Swann.

When I was more or less housebound last year, I read most of Jean Santeuil which is a sort of "warm-up" to his chef d'oeuvre and it was interesting for me to remember passages from the book in the readings of this afternoon.

There was a surprising amount of humour which I'd overlooked completely in Jean SanteuilWoot! [:-))] and I now understand a bit more why Proust was such a devotee of Dickens.

Report   Reply Quote

I accept that there has been hardly any interest but, still......I might as well finish as I had started.  Here is a review:

Incidentally, I don't agree with the review.  I don't want any modern, innovative "twist", I enjoyed the programme and I am glad that for once the BBC has stuck to "old-fashioned", tried and trusted broadcasting values.

I emailed the BBC, begging for a list of the music used because I have been maddened by my inability to identify and put a name to some of the music that I should know like the back of my hand.  The BBC said they couldn't answer my mail but someone had written a PS, telling me not to worry, they were "on it", so I wait in hope.

Report   Reply Quote

Mint, it was just wonderful! Like you, I’m so glad that they didn’t add any thing out of kilter, it was just so right as it was, I disagree strongly with the review on that point.

I couldn't put a name or composer to music used in it either, so if you hear more about it, I’d love to know.

The recording of episode 10 will be available for 27 days after being broadcast, so I imagine that the earliest episodes will be available up till a couple of days before that, for anyone who wants to listen to it.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

last movement of the debussy string quartet..

Après un rêve (version for cello)

I think I caught a snatch of the Ravel sonata for Violin and Cello

certainly the Ravel string Quartet too

I am not at all sure but there may be some of the Debussy Cello sonata slow movement

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine