The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 13 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Question about Trailer Tents

Can anyone advise what implications there might be if I buy a trailer tent in the UK, bring it to France and leave it?

Would it be possible to retain the same number plate of our UK registered car?

Would we need to get a carte gris and would it matter if the trailer tent is towed by a UK registered car?

Many thanks

Jenna (used to be Thibault).
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Question about Trailer Tents

Are you talking about bringing it to and leaving it at your holiday home? If so, no problem.
   Report   Reply Quote

I had to google 'trailer tent' and I am still none the wiser.

What the hell is a trailer tent ?
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

It is a trailer with a tent on the top! Used to be very popular particularly with the Dutch.
Most people make them into useful trailers when the top has had its day.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

As far as I am aware a trailer being towed by a French registered vehicle where the trailer weight is up to 750kg the trailer carried the vehicle registration. Over 750kg the trailer requires separate registration.

In the case of UK registered vehicle the trailer carries the registration of the towing vehicle - from the car towing the small trailer to the tip to an articulated lorry.

Naturally, there are requirements for registering a UK registered Vehicle where it is kept in France into the French system.
It is undemocratic to ask the people if a negotiated deal is what they want.

Then how can it be democratic to ask MPs for a third time if what they do not want is what they want?
   Report   Reply Quote

If it is going to be towed by a UK registered car while it’s owners are visiting their holiday home there is no need to register it in France. As most trailer tents will weigh less than 500kg there is no need to register it in France even if it’s going to be towed by a French registered car, it will just need a number plate with the tow car’s registration and will normally be covered by the cat’s insurance.
   Report   Reply Quote

Although not affecting this case but this is something I have just come across whilst searching for something else - trailer registration in the UK

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/register-your-trailer-if-you-want-to-take-it-abroad
It is undemocratic to ask the people if a negotiated deal is what they want.

Then how can it be democratic to ask MPs for a third time if what they do not want is what they want?
   Report   Reply Quote

Somewhere in the distant past I think we had a poster on the forum who had a trailer tent which they used to visit camp sites in France. If my memory serves they had a problem with the coupling of the vehicle to the trailer when returning to England because of the movement of the boat as they were disembarking at Dover. I wonder if any other long-standing poster remembers this and if they do if they remember any details which might help the original poster ?
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine