Driving in France

Topic has 4 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Owning a vehicle in France as non-resident.

Hello,

Recently we purchased a property in France as a second home. Is it possible for someone who does not live in Europe but has a second home in France to purchase and register a vehicle?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Continuously renting vehicles would be expensive.

Regards,
Richard

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Owning a vehicle in France as non-resident.

Hi RichardD. Yes it is possible. The fact that you do not live in EU doesn't make any difference.
Buy your car in France, insure it in France giving your second home as main address, job done.
Only problem I see (and yet, not 100% sure), is if insurers want to give you a bonus discount, would they accept evidence from outside EU ?
Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

As a U.K. resident, I bought a French car to keep at a résidence secondaire. The insurance agent did give me credit for my uk no-claims.

It appears that I would not legally have been allowed to drive it in the UK, though - something I didn’t realise till I had done it a few times! Nothing to do with the insurance, however.
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, that’s so. British friends here in France didn’t believe that they couldn’t drive their French-registered cars legally in the UK.

A reply to an email to the DVLA on that subject made clear that it is so.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

They can if they are non UK resident.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine