French Language

Topic has 20 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

teaching Romanian

Hoping someone can help - ?Betty?
We live in an area with a big Romanian community, where many of the young women are employed as cleaners. Several friends say that they're good at that job.
We've got to the age now when we need help in the house and have taken on a young Romanian woman to do the cleaning. Starting tomorrow. Not that I'm fussy about cleaning but husband is. The main problem will be that she knows no english so I think I should try to teach her. But where to start?

Report   Reply Quote

Re: teaching Romanian

I think the title should be "teaching English to a Romanian".

I have many Romanian friends and a Romanian family who lodge with me.
The younger (under 35) generation have a pretty good understanding of English (From the TV...Romanian TV isn't dubbed so they hear  lots of English and even more American) even though here we usually communicate in French.
Romanian is a Latin language close to Italian, not as some might imagine a Slavic one, so your French can help in communicating.

As for teaching English concentrate on simple concrete vocabulary that is immediately needed ..numbers colours household objects ..but I think you will be surprised how much is there already

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

As NH mentioned, and I was also wondering if she speaks french, lots of romanians do.

Report   Reply Quote

Good point about french. I'll try that.
Do you know if they're religious at all? I thought maybe catholic because she's called Maria.
And I had thought of starting with objects such as water, bucket, mop etc.

Report   Reply Quote

Many are Orthodox Christians (Russian orthodox)...this give a different date for   Easter usually.
Here  (34) there are Orthodox monasteries where  my friends go to have their children  baptised

There are some who are Catholic however.
When I was there in 2003 I was  intrigued to hear their idea of a 'mixed' marriage being one between  an Orthodox and a Catholic...

The fact that the language is like Italian can give a sweetness to the singing voice for 'classical' music:
Here is a Romanian choir singing 'Colinde' their version of carols...

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Very noce, Norman. Do you mean that the OP should teach her to sing, maybe in Latin, which we all understand!🤪
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Raddled ex -Academic that you are you might just be able to decipher a bit of Romanian...
Here is  the Admissions page for the University of the Lower Danube in Galati..
I reckon you could hazard a guess at well over 60% of the words...

- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks Norman - I might just show her that when  I get to know her better.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine