The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 13 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

France is really in a mess at the moment.

Peeps harp on about Brexit and are very vocal about how bad the UK has become. Is it really that bad ? Is it really worse than France ? I don't think so.

Does anyone actually watch French news, or pick up a local paper and read it ?

Jeeesus.....France is in a mess at the moment.

What a depressing state of affairs France has become.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: France is really in a mess at the moment.

I watch it, I read it, I live it. Nothing new, France has been up shute creek for years. This is normal.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Hmmmmm.

I would say it is very bad at the moment. Worse than it has ever been.

Those in charge have lost complete control of the country. I don't really think they will ever get it back.

It is very bad in France at the moment.

It is very depressing.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

How is it worse than ever?
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Since SKY have stopped TV5 Monde, I have to say that I have not looked at french news as much as I used to. So thanks for the reminder.

This article caught my eye:

So people who move to France with the benefit of S1's for medical care are privileged in comparison to french people. As most french people always pay into the system, even as retirees.

I have seen France in some right messes. I think that the most frightening times for me were when Pasqua was the Interior Minister...... he was ruthless.

If it is a mess now, to your knowledge, have any tv programs been stopped during air time and then cancelled??? Wish I could remember what one in particular was called, but I was watching and demonstrating students were being interviewed and then a blank screen and cancelled. That tv info program was on every week and then I didn't see the journalist on air for several years after that. Censorship was often used in my early days in France in the 1980's, technical faults when the screen went blank, and the reporting never to be seen again. As my friends used to say.....'c'est comme ca' and shrug.

I don't think that France is any worse, as wooly says, it has always been on the edge, on the verge of things.

ALBF, daresay your kids are too young as yet, but if your kids end up like mine and wanting to change the world, then wait till they start going to manifs.......... mine were never beaten up by the Companie Republicaines de Securite, but they had friends who were. I was always relieved when they got home.

Report   Reply Quote

Still, look on the brightside the conditions are not such as in Hong Kong or Venezula.
BREXIT - wonder what the future holds
   Report   Reply Quote

Have lived here for 23 years and find it little different to when we first came apart from a general rise at all levels of "incivilité". This is of course speaking from the privileged position as a retiree. I read the local paper nearly every morning on line, and other French national papers. The problem with the unnatural appetite for constant news these days imo is that people gravitate to the headline grabbing bad stuff. Hunters chasing a stag into someone house sells more than hunters reducing the wild boar population to help farmers. Reading this type of news gives a poor impression in every town and country. The papers here are full of shootings, rape, police brutality, wife beatings, immigrants, uncontrolled drug gangs without touching the weekly manifestations. And this is Nantes. You would not want to live here based solely on news reports. We walk miles every week though the town and outskirts and feel perfectly safe. Often people of all ages smile and say "Bonjour"

Just come back from a week in Jerusalem. Pushed to see anyone even smile there, the best conversation we had with a local was with a bus driver!
   Report   Reply Quote

Jerusalem bus drivers are well known for their sociability.
ALBF - I'm not surprised.
Maybe it's mainly as Lehaut says, the media and the shock/horror effect. But also it's real, town and city people have lost the desire to care for their neighbours.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine