The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 31 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Being poorly

We called having a cold etc being poorly when I was a kid.

I have a rotten lousy cold, bit of a sore throat and cough and it is not dire, simply miserable and I am hardly sleeping.

Having had a couple of very bad nights I stayed in bed until about lunch time yesterday and today. Which made me think about being poorly when I was a kid.

Firstly, I would have had to be at death's door before a doctor was called.

Poorly meant staying in bed, not allowed in the living areas until just about better, 'perking up'.  And I have wondered about this, was it a sort of quarantine so no one else caught it?? Or knowing that at least being in bed was warm, where
as most of our house, was not, apart from the stove being on in a small living room.

And my parents would also make up a fresh lemon cordial for me, which frankly I think I might make today, as my memory of it was that it was lovely and soothing.

Was bed rest enforced for you other 'older' folk on here too??

I never made my kids stay in bed, they would be up and if they were tired, might go to bed or doze on the couch.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Being poorly

No enforced bed rest but I had to insist on no school.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Just to say that the phrase 'being poorly' or 'feeling poorly' is very familiar to me. I think it was common in the NE, maybe not so much now.
We were tougher in those days, idun. No antibiotics etc.
Sorry to say the Geordies here are going soft - I love those cold bright autumn days like during the week. (Not today though, rain all day). But when I say this to the locals they say "its freezing, hate it!"
Still a few who go out in the frosty mornings coatless, short sleeved tee shirts.

Report   Reply Quote

Poorly was always the phrase in the NE, never ‘ill’ or anything else. It was used however seriously ill anybody was, right up to when ‘the sick note’ was out for them - meaning they were close to death.

I can’t actually remember being poorly, apart from having my tonsils out in hospital, so don’t know about having to stay in bed when I was poorly.

Our sons knew that they would have to stay in bed if poorly, until on the mend, so it wasn’t worth trying to swing a day at home playing like some of their friends got away with. Having said that, they mostly loved school.

Most younger people in the Sunderland area of the NE used to go out in the evenings to dances etc in shirt sleeves/ dresses when I was a young adult and on returning from college. No thought ever of wearing anything warm, even in the depths of winter with snow on the ground.

Maybe people were hardier then, no central heating, there would be ice on the inside of bedroom windows in winter, but very few seemed to get colds. Of course, those liberty bodices kept us cosy when young!

Adults used to have a well-used comment ‘ it’s 2 top coats colder up there’ when visiting the south. I can remember my father saying that to people when visiting us in Berkshire or my brother’s family in Hampshire.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

When I was a kid I never dared to say I felt poorly, otherwise, it meant being forced to take Senna Pods, Milk of magnesia or any other vile substance my mother could introduce to our diet. LOL
NickP
   Report   Reply Quote

Cant remember being ill at home but a couple of times in the school san(itorium) when we had mumps and chicken pox. Otherwise a diet of exercise, cold baths every morning, daily sport, never a day ill.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Oh definitely remember 'being poorly'. You knew you were really poorly when a fire was lit in your bedroom (all that coal being lugged upstairs). More likely to be kept warm by mam's moth-eaten fur coat over the blankets. Lemon, butter and sugar for sore throats. And can you remember 'sneeze and come to'?
And of course 'feel the benefit'.
   Report   Reply Quote

I love 'under the weather'.

I wonder where that phrase comes from ?

Is there a same phrase in french ?
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine