The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 29 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:
Idea [I]

Real rural village life

Hi all. I wonder if you can help? I'm researching a novel partly set in a village in rural France (not too far from Montbrison). I have visited said village so I have some idea, but am really struggling to find any material on the realities of rural village life either now or 20 odd years ago. Can you recommend anything please?. Thank you so much in advance. Kate
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Real rural village life

To read more about the lifestyles of villagers you can use the Google search. Use the precious search engine with the internet plans offered by Du. Visit <a href="https://dufixedinternet.com/">https://dufixedinternet.com/</a> for more info.
   Report   Reply Quote

Read Clochmerle, Clochmerle Babylon and Clochmerle Vigne(?) and extrapolate. Nothing much changes, only the labels.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

You said that you had visited the village and have some idea, but took me several years to get to the reality of the village I lived in.

The feuding, the enfants naturels, who were at school with their legitimate siblings, the near tortured and certainly abused boy who no one did anything about, even when he died. Endless stories beneath the easily said 'bonjours'.

You need to read the french authors as suggested and maybe actually live in that village, and hopefully a few people will like you enough to open up, because in my village, strangers get a general treatment, polite enough, but it was  purely and deliberately superficial.

Report   Reply Quote

Very true, Idun.
It was only after a few years living in our small commune that we began to find out what was really going on. Our nearest neighbour was a born gossip and she gave us (well me) the lowdown on who was having an affair with who, who was related to who. Who was feuding with who etc.
You need to be able to understand and speak the language too.

Report   Reply Quote

Guess why I moved out of rural France.

You could not pay me enough to move back.

I don't care how cheap the houses are and how nice the view is.

Never again would I move to rural France.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

LOL albf, we encountered some pretty incredible things when we lived in a city too, really we did, just very different to what we encountered when we lived in Nullepartville en Patelinperdu.

If we ever move back, though, it would be to a town, big enough with proper services or a city. Let's see how Brexit will affect us... it could be on the cards, reluctantly on the cards, I must add.

Report   Reply Quote

Patf wrote:
Very true, Idun.
It was only after a few years living in our small commune that we began to find out what was really going on. Our nearest neighbour was a born gossip and she gave us (well me) the lowdown on who was having an affair with who, who was related to who. Who was feuding with who etc.
You need to be able to understand and speak the language too.

My best friend lived opposite the local prostitute and would have blokes knocking on her door, and she said that the looked rather happy when she answered, but they did not look so happy after she had disabused them of their error and told them what she thought of them in no uncertain terms. She can be  pretty frightening when angry.Blink [blink] And angry she was when this happened.

Our village did not have a red light district, in my friend's quartier was an antiques shop, hairdressers, the GP and their Consultant spouse, a nurse, and a couple of teachers lived there too, as well as perfectly respectable people and the village ***.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine