The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 5 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

8 things that ARE NOT correct about supermarket shopping in France

A loverly article about French supermarkets by Kate McNally.

https://www.completefrance.com/living-in-france/utilities-services/supermarket-shopping-in-france-what-you-need-to-know-1-6378107

Sadly it is not correct. Good try though Kate.

I think she got most points wrong. LOL

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: 8 things that ARE NOT correct about supermarket shopping in France

Do tell us where you consider her wrong when you have finished breast feeding bionic baby.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

OK.

From the list made by Kate...

1) Most supermarkets in France are indeed franchises. The owners of the 'franchise' live in other countries to avoid paying tax in France. Thinking 'familiale Mulliez' here. Google it...it is quite interesting. They own a lot of the shops you shop in. And live in Belgium.

2) It is not 24 hr......sort of....but you can order online 24/7.

3) Prices can be higher in tourist season....RUBBISH !

4) You will find lots of local produce....like the UK then. Is it local ?

5) You will find non food items....like the UK then. Like any country then.

6) You won't find medicines.....ummm....yes you will in most grande surfaces.

7) Organic is popular....LOL....
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

You are wrong about 3. Having lived by coasts for a good part of my life I know that prices go up in summer and may drop back again in auturmn,winter.

Define local? Plenty of local and regional stuff here in the supermarkets. Plus, of course, stuff from Kenya!

Edit: actually the locals usually avoid shopping at the seaside supermarkets in the summer and go a bit in.and where prices are lower.
   Report   Reply Quote

So I am right on all seven then. LOL

Prices go up due to supply and demand. That is how the economy works and people make money.

Our local 'small' Auchan charges more on many products (if not all) because there is an elderly peoples home next door. The elderlies like shopping there.

If they drive 3km's to the larger Auchan just down the road (same products) and everything is a lot lot cheaper.

Vivre la France !
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Your statement about ownership is rather sweeping too. I happen to have met the owners of Hyper Us in the Vendée and the Leclerc here. In both cases they were owners and franchisees, living close by and working b loody hard. No signs of hiding in Belgium or even Timbuctoo.

(Yes, I know, but I do meet these people and chat to them, and ask questions of them too. Here, my idea for improving the safety of people walking in and out of the supermarket was accepted. There is now a plastic hump to slow vehicles down.)
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine