Earning a Living

Topic has 25 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Finding work on France

Norman, I can assure you it is still the number one qualification as far as I am concerned. Although many other editors look first for English degrees, I know that having one of these counts for far less than a love of the language and high working standards.

Unfortunately the magazine world is full of 'interns' - i.e. work experience students who work for expenses only, or a very low wage. Such people are getting training as journalists, which I hope includes the proper use of English, but in the meantime are working on 'real' articles. I only hope they have a good style sheet to follow, and that their work gets a close look from a good sub-editor before it appears in print. That is the case with all reputable publishers, though there are a few one-woman-and-her-dog outfits where even the editors have a less-than-adequate grasp of English grammar and usage.

I'm not saying this applies in this particular case, of course, and I do count Archant Life as a 'reputable' publisher. Neither is work experience a bad way into the profession; our own daughter-in-law started just like that and stayed with the same publisher ever since, rising to quite an enviable position in a few years before taking maternity leave.

Will

intentionally blank signature

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Finding work on France

Just to reiterate what others have said it's not just the Brits (though they will have a harder job due to lack of recognition of 'non French' qualifications and language skills).  We know several French friends struggling to find jobs and working way below their qualification and experience levels.  Like the notaire (with 20 years experience) and the science teacher who are working on an assembly line making air conditioning units or the English language teacher who is working as a postman...

My advice to anyone wanting to move to France and then find employment is - don't bother.  If your company sends you that's different.  So start working for a French company in the UK, improve your language skills (massively) - then ask for a transfer.

Mrs R51

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine